Subject: [PATCH] browse-url-with-browser-kind: Improve browser function selection
From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2024 12:41:50 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tags: patch

In order to find an appropriate browser function for the given
kind, first the browser handler lists are consulted.  If no
handler is found, the `browse-url-browser-function',
`browse-url-secondary-browser-function`,
`browse-url-default-browser' and `eww' are tried in that order
until a browser function with a matching kind is found.  This
way the user customization of `browse-url-browser-function' and
`browse-url-secondary-browser-function` is respected by
`browse-url-with-browser-kind'.

From f2972d6074e314e43fbb9630e5b597ff2ae47b22 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2024 12:15:10 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] browse-url-with-browser-kind: Improve browser function
 selection

In order to find an appropriate browser function for the given
kind, first the browser handler lists are consulted.  If no
handler is found, the `browse-url-browser-function',
`browse-url-secondary-browser-function`,
`browse-url-default-browser' and `eww' are tried in that order
until a browser function with a matching kind is found.  This
way the user customization of `browse-url-browser-function' and
`browse-url-secondary-browser-function` is respected by
`browse-url-with-browser-kind'.

* lisp/net/browse-url.el (browse-url-with-browser-kind): Try the
browser functions in the aforementioned order.
---
 lisp/net/browse-url.el | 19 +++++++++++++++----
 1 file changed, 15 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/net/browse-url.el b/lisp/net/browse-url.el
index 10165465921..e43f96c1fd5 100644
--- a/lisp/net/browse-url.el
+++ b/lisp/net/browse-url.el
@@ -976,7 +976,13 @@ browse-url-at-point
 ;;;###autoload
 (defun browse-url-with-browser-kind (kind url &optional arg)
   "Browse URL with a browser of the given browser KIND.
-KIND is either `internal' or `external'.
+
+KIND is either `internal' or `external'.  In order to find an
+appropriate browser for the given KIND, first the `browse-url-handlers'
+and `browse-url-default-handlers' lists are consulted.  If no handler is
+found, the functions `browse-url-browser-function',
+`browse-url-secondary-browser-function', `browse-url-default-browser'
+and `eww' are tried in that order.
 
 When called interactively, the default browser kind is the
 opposite of the browser kind of `browse-url-browser-function'."
@@ -996,9 +1002,14 @@ browse-url-with-browser-kind
      (cons k url-arg)))
   (let ((function (browse-url-select-handler url kind)))
     (unless function
-      (setq function (if (eq kind 'external)
-                         #'browse-url-default-browser
-                       #'eww)))
+      (setq function
+            (seq-find
+             (lambda (fun)
+               (eq kind (browse-url--browser-kind fun url)))
+             (list browse-url-browser-function
+                   browse-url-secondary-browser-function
+                   #'browse-url-default-browser
+                   #'eww))))
     (funcall function url arg)))
 
 ;;;###autoload
-- 
2.45.2