Subject: Re: Bootstrapping Zig with no Binary Blobs
From: Hilton Chain <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Motiejus Jakštys<[email-masked]>, Noé Lopez <[email-masked]>, dan <[email-masked]>, Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>, Ekaitz Zarraga <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2024 22:49:54 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Thu, 28 Nov 2024 19:08:09 +0800,
Hilton Chain wrote:
>
> I think this is mostly ready ( again :) ).  If there's nothing else missing,
> I'll post the current status and call for packages to test the build system on
> guix-devel.

Applied Zig bootstrap as 40b9f33066...42e32d52c3.

I'll delete wip-zig-bootstrap, move Zig libraries left there (currently unused
by other packages) to zig-team branch and continue the bootstrap chain on
zig-next branch.

Manifest for all Zig packages is available at "etc/teams/zig/zig-manifest.scm".

BTW I just realised that on reusing procedures from Guix, `guix repl' is more
convenient than `guile -c' in terms of load paths:
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
echo "((assoc-ref (@ (guix build zig-build-system) %standard-phases) 'unpack-dependencies))" | guix repl -t machine
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Builds on ci.guix.gnu.org is a bit slower than my estimation, but hopefully
we'll have x86_64-linux substitutes on 2025-01-01. :)

Closing.