Subject: 24.0.50; emacs -Q -nw positions cursor in empty lines on the second column
From: Gregor Zattler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 11:59:47 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Do emacs-snapshot -Q -nw with the attached file "nuk" in an xterm with
TERM=xterm: emacs does not place the cursor on the leftmost position in
empty lines but one charakter to the right.  If I then type a charakter
it displays at the leftmost position and the cursor does not move to the
right.  If I type a second character, this character displays at the
second column and the cursor moves to the right.  If I save the file and
use another tool to view it everything looks alright.
This only happens in terminal frames (tested on xterm and rxvt-unicode),
not in graphical X frames.
This bug has been introduced after emacs-snapshot 2010-10-30 and is
present in emacs-snapshot 2010-11-16.
See the attached screenshots which show the red cursor on the leftmost
position with emacs-snapshot 2010-30 and on the second column with
emacs-snapshot 2010-11-16.  This is on a rxtv-unicode terminal in a
screen (1) session.  The screenshots emacs-snapshot-one.png,
emacs-snapshot-two.png and emacs-snapshot-three.png show the cursor on
the second column, then with the first charakter of this very paragraph
typed ("S" leftmost, cursor on second column) and then with the second
charakter of this very paragraph typed.  These three screenshots are 
with emacs -Q -nw in an xterm.

It would be nice if the cursor would be on the leftmost position in
empty lines.

Thanks for your attention,
Gregor

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2010-11-16 on elegiac, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20101116-1)
configured using `configure  '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--host' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' '--without-compress-info' '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-imagemagick=yes' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g -Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: POSIX
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
5 ~ ESC [ 5 ~ ESC [ 5 ~ ESC [ 5 ~ ESC [ 5 ~ ESC [ 5 
~ ESC [ 6 ~ ESC O A TAB TAB TAB TAB TAB ESC [ Z ESC 
[ Z ESC [ 6 ~ ESC [ 6 ~ ESC [ 6 ~ ESC [ 6 ~ ESC [ 6 
~ ESC [ 6 ~ ESC [ 6 ~ ESC [ 6 ~ ESC [ 6 ~ C-s t e r 
m C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s q C-g C-g C-g q SPC SPC SPC SPC 
SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC 
SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC q ø 
b u g TAB DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL C-g C-g C-l C-l ø DEL 
ESC x b u g TAB TAB DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL 
DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL r e p TAB o r t - b u TAB 
RET

Recent messages:
Quit [6 times]
call-interactively: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer PROBLEMS>
Quit [5 times]
call-interactively: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer PROBLEMS> [8 times]
byte-code: End of buffer
call-interactively: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer PROBLEMS>
scroll-down-command: Beginning of buffer [12 times]
indent-relative: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer PROBLEMS> [5 times]
Quit [4 times]
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/emms/tq hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr message sendmail regexp-opt rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
emacsbug help-mode goto-addr thingatpt noutline outline easy-mmode view
multi-isearch jka-compr info easymenu tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)