Subject: 26.1; Feature: helpful message from global-set-key giving Lisp
From: Edward Avis <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2024 09:02:10 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

M-x global-set-key
Enter some key sequence and the command to bind to it.
For example I entered C-c v and find-file-at-point.
The following message is printed in the minibuffer and the *Messages*
buffer:

    You can run the command 'global-set-key' with M-x gl-se RET

Which is helpful and all, but I think it would be great also to show
the Lisp expression you could use to bind that key.  For example

    To set this key binding in Lisp,
      (global-set-key (kbd "C-c v") 'find-file-at-point)

This could go only to *Messages* and not clutter the minibuffer.

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
of 2023-04-12 built on x86-04.stream.rdu2.redhat.com
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corporation', version 11.0.12010000
Recent messages:
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/desktop-entry-mode-init.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
<f12> is undefined
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only [6 times]

Configured using:
'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
--disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
--bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
--datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
--libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
--sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
--with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
--with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
-Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -fexceptions
-fstack-protector-strong -grecord-gcc-switches
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
-fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
'LDFLAGS= -Wl,-z,relro,-z,now -fpie'
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-fns radix-tree help-mode easymenu
elec-pair edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 96656 6076)
(symbols 48 20566 1)
(miscs 40 88 129)
(strings 32 29239 1172)
(string-bytes 1 772433)
(vectors 16 14369)
(vector-slots 8 496836 9314)
(floats 8 52 77)
(intervals 56 334 6)
(buffers 992 13))

Please ignore confidentiality gunge below this point.

________________________________

Capula Investment Management LLP and/or its affiliates may collect and process certain personal data about you (i.e. information that identifies you). Please refer to Capula's Privacy Notice<https://www.capulaglobal.com/legal/privacy> for further information.

This email and any attachments are confidential, for the exclusive attention of the recipient and may also be legally privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. No information contained herein shall be disclosed to any other person without our written consent unless it is clearly publicly available or otherwise specified by us for onward transmission. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender by return email or by telephone on +44 (0)20 7071 0900; do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means; and delete or otherwise destroy all copies whether in electronic or hard copy form.

Any views contained in this email are those of the author and may not reflect those of any Capula entity. We reserve the right to monitor and review all emails within our network to ensure compliance with our policies and to protect our business. Emails are not secure and are not warranted by us to be free of errors nor of viruses nor of other defects which may affect a computer system. Anyone who communicates with us by email is taken to accept these risks. Unless specifically indicated, this email is not an offer or solicitation to buy or sell any investment product. Any information regarding investment products is subject to change without notice.

Capula Investment Management LLP is registered in England no. OC313398 and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Capula Investment Services Ltd is registered in England no. 05460265. The registered office of both companies is 4th Floor Phoenix House, 1 Station Hill, Reading, Berkshire, United Kingdom, RG1 1NB. The principal place of business of both companies is 7 Clarges Street, London W1J 8AE.