Subject: 30.0.91; skeleton-transformation-function sometimes unbound when sgml-xml-mode is t
From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2024 11:09:27 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

sgml-mode.el has an autoload for #'skeleton-read, which will pull in
skeleton.el and define skeleton-transformation-function.  But it looks
like there are code paths that don't trigger the autoload, so you can
get "Symbol’s value as variable is void: skeleton-transformation-function".

Reproducer:

- save the attached test file to disk

- emacs -Q
- M-: (setq sgml-xml-mode t) RET
- visit the test file
- move point to the "t" in "<table>"
- C-c C-a

mike

In GNU Emacs 30.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars) of 2024-09-12 built on alto
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-native-compilation=no'

Configured features:
CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBSELINUX
LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: XHTML+

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums yank-media mhtml-mode css-mode smie eww xdg url-queue
thingatpt shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache url-vars mailcap puny
mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util text-property-search time-date mail-utils
range wid-edit mm-util mail-prsvr color js c-ts-common treesit json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile imenu cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
sgml-mode facemenu dom cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 116311 9450) (symbols 48 12713 0) (strings 32 37306 2002)
 (string-bytes 1 1070017) (vectors 16 20833)
 (vector-slots 8 213859 10039) (floats 8 188 1) (intervals 56 300 0)
 (buffers 984 12))