Subject: Re: bug#732: w3m shows different results than Firefox browser

From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:51:30 +0200

On 2008-08-16 22:44 +0200, xah lee wrote:

> This appears to be a w3m bug or the w3m-mode bug and can be reproduced
> 100%.
>
> Summary:
> The results from using Opera, Safari, Firefox, in google search seems
> to differ from results shown in w3m, for certain url string.
>
> To test, try this url in Firefox and w3m/emacs:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22The%20computer%20wizards%20at%
> 20Industrial%20Light%20and%20Magic%20help%20alchemize%22
>
> standard browsers shows many results, top one is this time mag article:
> http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,981238-1,00.html
>
> Safari, Firefox, Opera seems show identical results. (some has cookies
> turned on, some not, so this search shouldn't depends on  cookies)
>
> but in w3m it just shows one vocabulary page on my website that quoted
> this phrase.

This is PEBKAC, just remove the %22 quotation marks.  With them, the
above URL shows only one result in any browser I've tried, including
Firefox and Konqueror; without them, w3m and other browsers show many
results.

Fortunately, Google does not seem to discriminate "non-standard"
browsers yet.

Sven