Subject: 29.4; Inconsistent "Loading" message suppression for batch mode
From: Derek Upham <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2024 18:05:59 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The relevant function is "load" (a.k.a "Fload").

The relevant file is "src/lread.c".

This exists in the current emacs-30 branch HEAD commit 94fe5894d99.

The function "load" has two code blocks that display progress messages
when loading files.  First:

  if (NILP (nomessage) || force_load_messages)
    {
      if (is_module)
        message_with_string ("Loading %s (module)...", file, 1);
      else if (is_native_elisp)
        message_with_string ("Loading %s (native compiled elisp)...", file, 1);
      else if (!compiled)
	message_with_string ("Loading %s (source)...", file, 1);
      else if (newer)
	message_with_string ("Loading %s (compiled; note, source file is newer)...",
		 file, 1);
      else /* The typical case; compiled file newer than source file.  */
	message_with_string ("Loading %s...", file, 1);
    }

Second:

  if (!noninteractive && (NILP (nomessage) || force_load_messages))
    {
      if (is_module)
        message_with_string ("Loading %s (module)...done", file, 1);
      else if (is_native_elisp)
	message_with_string ("Loading %s (native compiled elisp)...done", file, 1);
      else if (!compiled)
	message_with_string ("Loading %s (source)...done", file, 1);
      else if (newer)
	message_with_string ("Loading %s (compiled; note, source file is newer)...done",
		 file, 1);
      else /* The typical case; compiled file newer than source file.  */
	message_with_string ("Loading %s...done", file, 1);
    }

This pair follows the standard Emacs practice of an initial progress
message, a long activity, and then then the same message with "done" on
the end.

The second block's test skips the body if the "noninteractive" flag is
set.  (The "-batch" command line argument sets that flag, in "main()".)
But the first block's test does not take "noninteractive" into account.
That means that batch mode produces loading "half-messages".

  Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/00debian.el (source)...
  Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50autoconf.el (source)...
  Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50bbdb3.el (source)...

We probably want consistent non-display in batch mode, which we can get
by adding a similar "!noninteractive" test to the first progress block.

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.42,
 cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-06-29, modified by Debian built on sbuild
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101011
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -Werror=implicit-function-declaration
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/reproducible-path/emacs-29.4+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -fstack-clash-protection -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fcf-protection -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK3 ZLIB

-- 
Derek Upham
[email-masked]