Subject: Should python-mode-abbrev-table declare :parents python-base-mode-abbrev-table?
From: Ship Mints <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2024 14:13:44 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I was expecting that python-base-mode-abbrev-table would apply to both
python-mode and python-ts-mode buffers. python-ts-mode doesn't derive from
python-mode so the abbrev tables aren't shared by default. Unless I'm
missing something, using a base table doesn't work for me.

(define-abbrev-table 'python-mode-abbrev-table ()
  "Abbrev table for Python mode."
;; should this:
  :parents (list python-mode-skeleton-abbrev-table))
;; be defined thusly?
  :parents (list python-base-mode-abbrev-table
python-mode-skeleton-abbrev-table))

I tried to find guidance on this outside of hacking abbrev tables manually
to be shared. Perhaps other people have the same expectation.

Thank you,

Stephane