Subject: 29.4; Proced reports incorrect results with 16KB page size
From: Rahguzar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2024 19:22:08 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear Emacs Maintainers,

I am using GNU/Linux on an Apple M2 processor using the Asahi Linux
project [1]. They provide a kernel with 16KB page size [2]. This causes proced
to show incorrect values for percentage memory (other memory related
attributes might also be affected). E.g. comparing with top I see that
value reported by proced is a quarter of that related by top. 

[1] https://asahilinux.org
[2] https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/switch-to-the-kernel-16k-variant/87711

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, aarch64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.42, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-07-08 built on
 c7db9ae0ee0641de8f7c6190b678dcb8
System Description: Fedora Linux Asahi Remix 40 (Forty)

Configured using:
 'configure --build=aarch64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=aarch64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --runstatedir=/run
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-cairo --with-dbus --with-gif
 --with-gpm=no --with-harfbuzz --with-jpeg --with-json --with-modules
 --with-native-compilation=aot --with-pgtk --with-png --with-rsvg
 --with-sqlite3 --with-tiff --with-tree-sitter --with-webp --with-xpm
 --with-xwidgets build_alias=aarch64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=aarch64-redhat-linux-gnu CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2
 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1
 -mbranch-protection=standard -fasynchronous-unwind-tables
 -fstack-clash-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer
 -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer ' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig CXX=g++
 'CXXFLAGS=-O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g
 -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1
 -mbranch-protection=standard -fasynchronous-unwind-tables
 -fstack-clash-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer
 -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer ''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  undo-fu-session-mode: t
  highlight-quoted-mode: t
  corfu-history-mode: t
  corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  evil-surround-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  dirvish-override-dired-mode: t
  satchel-mode: t
  nerd-icons-completion-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  vertico-multiform-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  evil-goggles-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  midnight-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t
  view-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/azeem/.local/state/emacs/elpaca/builds/transient/transient hides /usr/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/transient
/home/azeem/.local/state/emacs/elpaca/builds/ef-themes/theme-loaddefs hides /usr/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/theme-loaddefs
/home/azeem/.local/state/emacs/elpaca/builds/eww-hacks/shr hides /usr/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/net/shr
/home/azeem/.local/state/emacs/elpaca/builds/eww-hacks/eww hides /usr/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/net/eww

Features:
(shadow files-x emacsbug evil-nerd-commenter html-mode-expansions
sgml-mode evil-nerd-commenter-operator evil-nerd-commenter-sdk misearch
multi-isearch pdf-roll crm consult-info gnus-fun embark-org
embark-consult embark inspirehep-pdf companion-mode inspirehep reftex
reftex-loaddefs reftex-vars pdf-sync pdf-annot pdf-outline pdf-links
pdf-history pdf-occur tablist tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet
pdf-isearch pdf-misc pdf-tools pdf-view pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util
pdf-macs password-store auth-source-pass with-editor shell consult-imenu
checkdoc vc-git vc-dispatcher package-lint-flymake package-lint
let-alist finder finder-inf lisp-mnt package url-handlers
vertico-directory oc-basic url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc
ol-info ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview doc-view ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb
ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi descr-text mastodon-notifications smerge-mode
diff diff-mode link-hint ffap goto-addr avy jka-compr view helpful
cc-langs cc-vars cc-defs imenu trace edebug debug backtrace info-look
info f help-fns radix-tree elisp-refs s dash undo-fu-session
nerd-icons-corfu dabbrev delsel jit-spell ispell cape face-remap
mastodon-media image-mode exif mastodon-profile mastodon-tl url-http
url-gw url-cache url-auth mastodon-auth mastodon-client plstore mastodon
mastodon-search mastodon-toot facemenu mastodon-iso persist
mastodon-http request adaptive-wrap shr-color highlight-quoted
corfu-history corfu-popupinfo corfu evil-embrace embrace expand-region
text-mode-expansions the-org-mode-expansions org-element org-persist xdg
org-id org-refile avl-tree generator er-basic-expansions
expand-region-core expand-region-custom evil-surround qp sort smiley
gnus-cite mm-archive mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml
disp-table nndraft nnmh vertico-repeat epa-file network-stream nsm
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp
gnus-cache fabs consult server mu4e mu4e-org org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities noutline outline
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func org-version org-compat
org-macs mu4e-notification notifications mu4e-main smtpmail mu4e-view
mu4e-mime-parts gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls
dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
mu4e-headers mu4e-thread mu4e-actions mu4e-compose nnheader range
mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark mu4e-message shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml dom browse-url flow-fill mule-util
hl-line mu4e-contacts mu4e-update mu4e-folders mu4e-context
mu4e-query-items mu4e-server mu4e-modeline mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers
mu4e-config mu4e-window ido message sendmail yank-media puny cus-start
dirvish transient format-spec autorevert filenotify dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader mu4e-obsolete usher satchel ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
bookmark nerd-icons-completion nerd-icons nerd-icons-faces
nerd-icons-data nerd-icons-data-mdicon nerd-icons-data-flicon
nerd-icons-data-codicon nerd-icons-data-devicon nerd-icons-data-sucicon
nerd-icons-data-wicon nerd-icons-data-faicon nerd-icons-data-powerline
nerd-icons-data-octicon nerd-icons-data-pomicon nerd-icons-data-ipsicon
marginalia vertico-multiform vertico compat compat-30 evil-goggles pulse
color ef-spring-theme ef-themes pdf-loader evil-anzu anzu evil
evil-integration evil-maps evil-commands reveal evil-jumps
evil-command-window evil-types evil-search evil-ex evil-macros
evil-repeat evil-states evil-core comp comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode
advice evil-common rect evil-vars edmacro kmacro orderless
mastodon-autoloads request-autoloads persist-autoloads yeetube-autoloads
filechooser-autoloads wile-autoloads adaptive-wrap-autoloads
usher-autoloads undo-fu-session-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads
jit-spell-autoloads satchel-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads
tablist-autoloads xr-autoloads link-hint-autoloads avy-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads magit-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads inspirehep-autoloads
consult-hoogle-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads geiser-guile-autoloads
geiser-autoloads fabs-autoloads companion-mode-autoloads
eww-hacks-autoloads evil-embrace-autoloads embrace-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads evil-surround-autoloads
evil-nerd-commenter-autoloads evil-goggles-autoloads evil-anzu-autoloads
anzu-autoloads evil-autoloads goto-chg-autoloads
eshell-syntax-highlighting-autoloads eat-autoloads
package-lint-flymake-autoloads package-lint-autoloads
elisp-def-autoloads macrostep-autoloads helpful-autoloads f-autoloads
elisp-refs-autoloads dash-autoloads s-autoloads
highlight-quoted-autoloads dirvish-autoloads transient-autoloads
diredfl-autoloads trashed-autoloads vertico-autoloads
orderless-autoloads nerd-icons-completion-autoloads marginalia-autoloads
embark-consult-autoloads embark-autoloads nerd-icons-corfu-autoloads
nerd-icons-autoloads cape-autoloads corfu-autoloads consult-autoloads
password-store-autoloads with-editor-autoloads compat-autoloads
elpaca-log elpaca-ui url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
recentf tree-widget savehist elec-pair saveplace bind-key url-parse
auth-source eieio eieio-core password-cache json map url-vars easy-mmode
cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit pcase ibuf-macs flymake-proc flymake
project byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile compile text-property-search
comint ansi-osc ansi-color warnings icons thingatpt cl-macs pixel-scroll
cua-base ring subr-x repeat rx midnight gv cl-seq elpaca elpaca-process
cl-loaddefs cl-lib elpaca-autoloads rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
gtk pgtk multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1976204 1127031)
 (symbols 48 94384 7)
 (strings 32 478350 81603)
 (string-bytes 1 31638678)
 (vectors 16 149464)
 (vector-slots 8 3721744 648039)
 (floats 8 2069 5420)
 (intervals 56 197274 14128)
 (buffers 984 162))