Subject: The commit 17e26cf57e1 broke font-locking in maxima-mode
From: Eduardo Ochs <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 00:05:50 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi all,

there are two Maxima modes around - one in Melpa and one in Maxima
itself. They have different bugs, and lots of people, including me,
prefer the Maxima mode that comes with Maxima. This bug report is
about a change in Emacs that broke the font-locking in the Maxima mode
that comes with Maxima - I didn't test the other Maxima mode.

Something happened between these two commits:

3f7e26e2bed 2024-04-13 10:10:19 (define-globalized-minor-mode): Fix bug#58888
17e26cf57e1 2024-04-13 10:31:28 (define-globalized-minor-mode):
Require the use of `run-mode-hooks`

Until 3f7e26e2bed font-locking in .mac files worked, but from
17e26cf57e1 onwards it doesn't work anymore. In the current Emacs from
git - where "current" means 2024jul21 - it doesn't work.

Note that 3f7e26e2bed is 17e26cf57e1~1.
I'm on Debian 11 ("oldstable").

Here's how to test it.

--snip--snip--
rm -Rv /tmp/test-maxima-mode/
mkdir  /tmp/test-maxima-mode/
cd     /tmp/test-maxima-mode/

wget -O maxima.el \
  "https://sourceforge.net/p/maxima/code/ci/master/tree/interfaces/emacs/emaxima/maxima.el?format=raw"
wget -O maxima-font-lock.el \
  "https://sourceforge.net/p/maxima/code/ci/master/tree/interfaces/emacs/emaxima/maxima-font-lock.el?format=raw"

cat > test.mac <<'%%%'
max(2, 4);
min(2, 4);
q(t)   := max(0, t-2);
r(t)   := min(q(t), 2);
S(x,y) := max(r(x), r(y));
plot2d (r(t), [t, 0, 6]);
plot3d (S(x,y), [x, 0, 6], [y, 0, 6]);
%%%

cat > test.el <<'%%%'
(progn
  (load "/tmp/test-maxima-mode/maxima-font-lock.el")
  (load "/tmp/test-maxima-mode/maxima.el")
  (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.mac$"  . maxima-mode))
  (find-file "/tmp/test-maxima-mode/test.mac")
  )
%%%

emacs -Q test.el
--snip--snip--

  Cheers,
    Eduardo Ochs
    http://anggtwu.net/#eev