Subject: 30.0.60; '*nntpd** has no process' after left idle for a long time
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2024 21:33:01 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

II
I'm going to have a hard time reproducing this one.  I'm not
giving up, but I'm also reporting early in case someone can
figure it out before I can track it down.

GNUS is configured like so:

#+begin_src elisp
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil "")
      gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '(
        (nnimap "imap.fastmail.com"
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                (nnimap-record-commands t)
                )
        )
      )
#+end_src

What happened:

1. Reading some mail; Summary and Article buffer open
2. Walk away for a while; laptop falls asleep
3. Wake it up and press 'q' to return to the *Group* buffer

Note that I've always left GNUS hanging like this, and probably
with laptops going to sleep for at least 20 years.  I think this
is a new post-29.x regression.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can reproduce it more
quickly, that would be great :).

Thanks!

Expected results:
Back at the *Group* buffer.

Actual results:
Still in the Summary buffer, with this error shown for every time
I type 'q':

nnimap-send-command: Buffer  *nnimap imap.fastmail.com nil  *nntpd** has no process

Unfortunately I didn't think to check the debug log buffer until
after I pressed 'q' a lot of times and finally guessed that maybe
'n' to fetch another message might wake things back up (it did).
But here's what I found when I finally looked:

#+begin_example
19:39:31 [imap.fastmail.com] 610 UID FETCH 40517 BODY.PEEK[]
19:55:57 [imap.fastmail.com] 611 NOOP
19:55:57 [imap.fastmail.com] 612 NOOP
21:10:18 [imap.fastmail.com] 613 NOOP
21:10:18 [imap.fastmail.com] 614 NOOP
21:10:26 [imap.fastmail.com] 615 SELECT "INBOX"
21:10:26 [imap.fastmail.com] 616 EXPUNGE
21:10:35 [imap.fastmail.com] 617 EXPUNGE
21:11:25 [imap.fastmail.com] 618 EXPUNGE
21:11:34 [imap.fastmail.com] 619 EXPUNGE
21:14:35 [imap.fastmail.com] (inhibited)
21:14:35 [imap.fastmail.com] 621 CAPABILITY
21:14:35 [imap.fastmail.com] 622 ENABLE QRESYNC
21:14:35 [imap.fastmail.com] 623 SELECT "INBOX"
21:14:35 [imap.fastmail.com] 624 SELECT "INBOX"
21:14:35 [imap.fastmail.com] 625 UID FETCH 40380 BODY.PEEK[]
21:14:37 [imap.fastmail.com] 626 SELECT "INBOX"
21:14:37 [imap.fastmail.com] 627 UID STORE 40380 +FLAGS.SILENT (\Seen)
21:14:38 [imap.fastmail.com] 628 EXPUNGE
#+end_example

In GNU Emacs 30.0.60 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit,
 cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-06-27 built on dogato
Repository revision: c477443ab80a087a94c357f3fe5fd62c97e6f6ab
Repository branch: emacs-30
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101012
System Description: openSUSE Tumbleweed

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/opt/emacs-30.0.60.2.c477443ab80
 --disable-silent-rules --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-sqlite3
 --without-lcms2 --without-libsystemd --without-imagemagick
 --with-json --with-tree-sitter --without-xft --without-libotf
 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-xaw3d --without-gpm
 --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 --without-selinux --without-compress-install --with-x'

Configured features:
CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBXML2 MODULES
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  server-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug grep dired-aux ffap files-x shell pcomplete
log-edit add-log cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs doc-view jka-compr
image-mode exif vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view pcvs-util vc-dir vc server
mule-util url-http url-gw url-auth eww xdg mm-url cl-extra sort
gnus-cite shr-color color mm-archive mail-extr textsec
uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable
textsec-check gnus-bcklg gnus-async misearch multi-isearch qp
gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh utf-7 network-stream nsm nnfolder
nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls
dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus
nnheader range elfeed-show elfeed-search wid-edit bookmark
message sendmail yank-media dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader shr
pixel-fill kinsoku puny svg dom elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl
elfeed-log elfeed-db elfeed-lib time-date avl-tree generator
url-queue url-file browse-url xml-query xml rust-utils rust-mode
derived rust-rustfmt rust-playpen rust-compile rust-cargo eglot
external-completion jsonrpc xref flymake thingatpt project compat
diff ert pp ewoc debug backtrace help-mode find-func filenotify
warnings compile text-property-search imenu ob-sql ob ob-tangle
ol org-src sh-script rx smie treesit executable ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp ob-comint comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring ob-core
org-cycle org-fold org-fold-core ob-eval org-keys oc org-compat
org-macs format-spec pcase vc-git diff-mode track-changes
easy-mmode vc-dispatcher url-cache url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf mailcap url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs icons cl-loaddefs cl-lib password-cache json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese
eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray
oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces
cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify
dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x
multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 558744 95181) (symbols 48 40676 20) (strings 32 118574 7565)
 (string-bytes 1 2790760) (vectors 16 70930) (vector-slots 8 895051 71720)
 (floats 8 436 8209) (intervals 56 9511 1222) (buffers 992 45))

-- 
Eric Gillespie  <*>  [email-masked]