Subject: 28.2; Can't create/open .gpg file name contains non-ascii encoding in windows
From: Tatsuya Kumazawa <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2024 22:35:23 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I save .gpg file contains non-ASCII(eg: e:/あ.gpg).

I got message below
(It happens anytime when user name contains non-ASCII
(it must to change epg-gpg-home-directory to ASCII only path))

----
Error while encrypting with "e:/msys2/usr/bin/gpg.exe":

gpg: can't create 'c:/Users/(my name with CP932 encoded by
UTF-8)/AppData/Local/Temp/epg-output9UGAFQ': No such file or directory
gpg: symmetric encryption of '[stdin]' failed: No such file or directory
----

When I open e:/あ.gpg, I got

----
Error while decrypting with "e:/msys2/usr/bin/gpg.exe":

gpg: can't open 'e:/邵ｺ繝ｻgpg': No such file or directory
gpg: decrypt_message failed: No such file or directory
----

It seems UTF-8 encode by CP932 binary sequence.

share\emacs\28.2\lisp\epg.el

673:                                                     :coding 'raw-text

to

673:                                                     :coding
'(raw-text . cp932)

(CP932 is japanese charactor code of windows)
seemsly worked in my environment.

It might be good from cp932 to system process encoding for multilanguage?

(Sorry, I don't know emacs well)

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2022-09-14 built on AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.22631
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.22631.3672)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: JPN
  locale-coding-system: cp932

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(mailalias mailclient browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
url-vars mailcap qp pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg cl-extra
help-mode rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs auth-source
cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map
text-property-search time-date subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils japan-util iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 94210 14660)
 (symbols 48 8115 2)
 (strings 32 24243 3223)
 (string-bytes 1 785123)
 (vectors 16 22517)
 (vector-slots 8 1119837 217090)
 (floats 8 31 74)
 (intervals 56 1138 23)
 (buffers 992 15))