Subject: 30.0.50; Obsolete certain comint-osc symbols
From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:53:46 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When ansi-osc.el was created, moving code originally in comint.el, the
variable and function aliases created for backwards compatibility
purposes were not marked as obsolete.  The attached patch fixes this.

From a2b4a0e0282f94949890cff65427e7536642cc0b Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:43:27 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] Obsolete comint-osc symbols moved to ansi-osc.el

* lisp/comint.el (comint-osc-handlers, comint-osc-directory-tracker,
comint-osc-hyperlink-handler, comint-osc-hyperlink,
comint-osc-hyperlink-map): Mark as obsolete.
---
 lisp/comint.el | 26 +++++++++++++++-----------
 1 file changed, 15 insertions(+), 11 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/comint.el b/lisp/comint.el
index a8fe095e99c..bae89beb76b 100644
--- a/lisp/comint.el
+++ b/lisp/comint.el
@@ -3961,18 +3961,22 @@ comint-redirect-results-list-from-process
 ;;; OSC escape sequences (Operating System Commands)
 ;;============================================================================
 ;; Adding `comint-osc-process-output' to
-;; `comint-output-filter-functions' enables the interpretation of OSC
-;; escape sequences.  By default, OSC 7 and 8 (for current directory
-;; and hyperlinks respectively) are acted upon.  Adding more entries
-;; to `comint-osc-handlers' allows a customized treatment of further
-;; sequences.
+;; `comint-output-filter-functions' enables the interpreting of OSC
+;; escape sequences.  See `ansi-osc-handlers' for a list of OSC
+;; sequences which are interpreted by default and information on how to
+;; handle new sequences.
 
 ;; Aliases defined for reverse compatibility
-(defvaralias 'comint-osc-handlers 'ansi-osc-handlers)
-(defalias 'comint-osc-directory-tracker 'ansi-osc-directory-tracker)
-(defalias 'comint-osc-hyperlink-handler 'ansi-osc-hyperlink-handler)
-(defalias 'comint-osc-hyperlink 'ansi-osc-hyperlink)
-(defvaralias 'comint-osc-hyperlink-map 'ansi-osc-hyperlink-map)
+(define-obsolete-variable-alias
+  'comint-osc-handlers 'ansi-osc-handlers "30.1")
+(define-obsolete-function-alias
+  'comint-osc-directory-tracker 'ansi-osc-directory-tracker "30.1")
+(define-obsolete-function-alias
+  'comint-osc-hyperlink-handler 'ansi-osc-hyperlink-handler "30.1")
+(define-obsolete-function-alias
+  'comint-osc-hyperlink 'ansi-osc-hyperlink "30.1")
+(define-obsolete-variable-alias
+  'comint-osc-hyperlink-map 'ansi-osc-hyperlink-map "30.1")
 
 (defun comint-osc-process-output (_)
   "Interpret OSC escape sequences in comint output.
@@ -3985,7 +3989,7 @@ comint-osc-process-output
 
 Specifically, every occurrence of such escape sequences is
 removed from the buffer.  Then, if `command' is a key of the
-`comint-osc-handlers' alist, the corresponding value, which
+`ansi-osc-handlers' alist, the corresponding value, which
 should be a function, is called with `command' and `text' as
 arguments, with point where the escape sequence was located."
   (let ((start (1- comint-last-output-start))
-- 
2.44.0