Subject: 29.2; Eshell: completing Tramp remote hosts no longer works
From: Sean Devlin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:43:32 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi folks,

In an Eshell session, completing the names of Tramp remote hosts no
longer seems to work. This is a regression from Emacs 29.1.

Recipe:

1. Emacs -Q.
2. M-x eshell.
3. Type "cd /scp:".
4. Type TAB.

Observe that no completions are offered.

If you try the same thing in Emacs 29.1, you will be offered completions
based on the contents of your ssh configuration files.

Thanks for your help!

In GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6.6 (Build 21G646)) of 2024-01-18 built on
armbob.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple'
System Description:  macOS 14

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=10000
-DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT' --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER
PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Eshell

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  eshell-prompt-mode: t
  eshell-hist-mode: t
  eshell-pred-mode: t
  eshell-cmpl-mode: t
  eshell-proc-mode: t
  eshell-arg-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration tramp-compat rx parse-time iso8601 time-date
format-spec auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile pcmpl-unix em-unix em-term
term disp-table shell subr-x ehelp em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist
em-pred em-glob em-extpipe em-cmpl em-dirs esh-var pcomplete comint
ansi-osc ansi-color ring em-basic em-banner em-alias esh-mode eshell
esh-cmd generator cl-loaddefs cl-lib esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io
esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util files-x rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 79959 8250)
(symbols 48 9522 0)
(strings 32 27931 1209)
(string-bytes 1 920905)
(vectors 16 19453)
(vector-slots 8 253817 15504)
(floats 8 36 37)
(intervals 56 280 0)
(buffers 984 12))