Subject: 30.0.50; Tramp: unexpected error when calling (file-remote-p "/dav:localhost#8000:/foo")
From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 16:08:20 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Today, I tried to execute an innocent test checking if a file is remote
or not:

(file-remote-p "/dav:localhost#8000:/foo")

Unexpectedly, I encountered user error
tramp-error: Package `tramp-gvfs' not supported

I did not expect that `file-remote-p' should ever throw an error other
than when passed non-string argument.

Looking at the code, (setq tramp-gvfs-enabled t) would make the error
disappear. (The default value is nil)

I believe that it is inappropriate that throw an error in such
situation. If "gvfs" is not supported, but still claimed to be remote by
TRAMP, I expect non-nil return value when calling `file-remote-p'; not
an error.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 6, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-02-04 built on localhost
Repository revision: ac3b44daf09cf723687664f21ff557d9d5ebc19b
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101011
System Description: Gentoo Linux

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>