Subject: w32-use-native-image-API makes weird behavior
From: Jinsong Zhao <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 21:52:00 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi there,

I am not a skilled Emacs user. I mainly use Emacs as a front end for 
Maxima with the help of imaxima. imaxima converts Maxima output into PNG 
image, which are then displayed in Emacs. I am using Windows 10.

It works fine on Emacs 28.2, when I type an expression, e.g. q^2 = 1; 
and return, Emacs 28.2 immediately displays the resulting PNG image.

If I use Emacs 29.1, however, all I get after returning is an empty 
square. And if I type another expression and return, a blank square 
appears. At the same time, the first empty square was replaced by a PNG 
image of the first expression. That's weird.

I saw the following messages in the *Messages* buffer:

Processing Maxima output...done
Unable to load image (image :type png :file 
c:/Users/Jinso/AppData/Local/Temp/imaximatU5Y9B/1 :scale 
1.001595744680851 :ascent center :mask (heuristic (color-values 
imaxima-bg-color)) :transform-smoothing t) [35 times]
Process imaxima finished

After (setq w32-use-native-image-API nil), imaxima has the same 
behaviour on Emacs 28.2 and 29.1.

Best,
Jinsong