Subject: 24.0.50; Yanking non-ASCII text from other X application leads to unicode escapes
From: Kaloian Doganov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 16:56:32 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

0. Start Emacs using `emacs -Q'.

1. Open some other X application (gedit, GNOME Terminal, etc.) and enter
   the following text:

       Проба

2. Select the text using the mouse and yank it using mouse-2 in a
   scratch buffer in Emacs.

3. The result is:

       \u041f\u0440\u043e\u0431\u0430

   instead of the expected:

       Проба

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)
 of 2010-08-05 on gana, modified for gNewSense
 (Unofficial gNewSense emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20100805-gns1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10400090
configured using `configure  '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' '--without-compress-info' '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-crossjumping -I/usr/include/GNUstep -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g -Wl,-znocombreloc -Wl,-z,defs -Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: bg_BG.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  type-break-mode-line-message-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Using schema /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/etc/schema/xslt.rnc [2 times]
Using vacuous schema
Using schema /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/etc/schema/xslt.rnc [6 times]
Using vacuous schema
Loading arc-mode...done
Parsing archive file...done.
Using vacuous schema
Wrote /home/kaloian/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 128 buffers restored.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/mit-scheme/xscheme hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/mit-scheme/xscheme
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/remember hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/textmodes/remember
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/mit-scheme/xscheme hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/progmodes/xscheme

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-cite mail-extr emacsbug arc-mode archive-mode sql
parse-time vc-cvs tex-mode compile shell scheme sh-script executable
view tar-mode flyspell ispell dired-aux dired make-mode python-21 python
jka-compr nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid
rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn
nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc
xmltok imenu cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds vc-dispatcher vc-svn
org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo
org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks org-agenda org-info
org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex org-bbdb package type-break paren
iswitchb battery desktop cus-start cus-load cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs org-nnml nnml org byte-opt warnings bytecomp
byte-compile ob-emacs-lisp ob-keys ob-comint comint ring ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob org-footnote org-src org-list org-faces
org-compat org-entities org-macs noutline outline easy-mmode remember
info-look info advice help-fns advice-preload spam spam-stat bbdb-com cl
cl-19 bbdb timezone gnus-uu yenc gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
epg-config mm-view smime password-cache dig mailcap gnus-sum nnoo
gnus-group time-date gnus-undo nnmail mail-source format-spec gnus-start
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util
wid-edit message sendmail rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader edmacro kmacro
ps-mule ps-print ps-def lpr regexp-opt cal-menu easymenu calendar
cal-loaddefs time server bbdb-autoloads tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM, learn more at
http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm