Subject: 23.2; PDB on OS X does not work
From: Jeremy Whitlock <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 15:47:19 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1) Create a Python file in Emacs, its contents don't really work but try to write a
script that actually does something

2) M-x pdb <Enter> <Enter>

What happens when yo do this is you end up with is a non-responsive
buffer that has the following in it:

Current directory is <YOUR_CURRENT_DIRECTORY>

and a blinking cursor.  I don't get any prompt to enter any pdb commands
and I also do not get the corresponding line in my python script
highlighted in the debugger.

You must be on OS X.  I ran into this in 23.1 but when I submitted the
bug fix, which for some reason doesn't appear to work in 23.2, it was a
follow-up to another bug so I don't think it was addressed.

What is wild is that I can execute PDB in a different way within Emacs
and it works just fine.  The way I have to do it to get it working is:

1) Open the Python file in emacs
2) M-x shell <Enter>
3) pdb <your_file>

Once I execute that, my shell prompts me for PDB as expected and my
corresponding line in the editor is highlighted.  So, well, I know the
core part of PDB is working to an extend but the way to execute "pdb
<Enter> <Enter>" isn't working.  (I think it's due to parsing the PDB
output on OS X as I refered to in bug 5653:
http://debbugs.gnu.org/db/56/5653.html)

I am interested in helping with this so please let me know how I can help.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.29)
of 2010-05-08 on black.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin' '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin' 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.5''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /Users/jwhitlock/.emacs.d/color-theme/themes/color-theme-example.el (source)...done
Loading /Users/jwhitlock/.emacs.d/color-theme/themes/color-theme-library.el (source)...done
Loading /Users/jwhitlock/.emacs.frameg...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util
hashcash mail-utils emacsbug color-theme edmacro kmacro wid-edit
sendmail regexp-opt reporter mercurial view vc vc-dispatcher executable
diff-mode easy-mmode cl cl-19 go-mode-load paren tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win easymenu tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom
widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns
multi-tty emacs)

Take care,

Jeremy Whitlock <[email-masked]>
Twitter: jcscoobyrs
Website: http://www.thoughtspark.org