Subject: Re: bug#67248: 30.0.50; string-pixel-width is affected by the global value of display-line-numbers
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 18:36:08 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 29.2

On 18/11/2023 09:14, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I don't see a need for such drastic measures, certainly not due to
> this bug.  Having the variable and the mode in this case is not
> different from other similar cases, for example, word-wrap vs
> visual-line-mode.

At least word-wrap and visual-line-mode have different names. And the 
latter provides a bunch of other features than the former.

display-line-numbers and display-line-numbers-mode sound totally 
identical, so I'm not at all surprised that the author of the referenced 
bug report customized both of them. That's a usability problem.

 > Thanks, I think this is indeed the right solution.  Please install the
patch on the emacs-29 branch.

Okay, pushed as 0128495afde. Thanks.