Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] gnu: Add reduce-csl.
From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
To: Nigko Yerden <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2025 14:15:27 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Am Fri, Feb 07, 2025 at 05:13:35PM +0500 schrieb Nigko Yerden:
> Yes, these build scripts are somewhat messy! Now I wonder if we really
> need unbundled libffi? This patch provide us with additional maintainance
> burden, while the benefit of unbundling libffi is negligibly small
> (libffi takes in my /gnu/store only 272K of space and even
> smaller than that in RAM). Frankly, I would prefer to have libffi
> as a bundled library.

well, it is a Guix principle to unbundle as much as possible, with an
eye on the effort it takes. But now that you have done all the work, I
prefer to keep the library unbundled.

> That's fine, but is it okay that Maxima CAS, which is a twin sister (or brother)
> of Reduce, resides in maths.scm? It would make sense to put those two together.

Yes, and I think it was a mistake to put Maxima in maths instead of
algebra. But moving it would break "git blame", so I would suggest to
leave it where it is.

Thanks for all your other comments! I have pushed the patch and am
closing this issue.

Apologies again for not working on your submission earlier. Next time it
happens on a patch of yours in my realm, please feel free to ping me.

Andreas