Subject: [PATCH] doc: Add some guidelines for reviewing.
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 08:54:27 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

* doc/contributing.texi (Contributing) [Reviewing the Work of Others]: New
section.
* doc/contributing.texi (Debbugs Usertags): Expound with Emacs Debbugs
information and document the 'reviewed-looks-good' usertag.

Change-Id: I56630b15ec4fbc5c67e5420dbf2838556a005d6b
---
 doc/contributing.texi | 53 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----
 1 file changed, 48 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/contributing.texi b/doc/contributing.texi
index 864190b119..b09e9cc299 100644
--- a/doc/contributing.texi
+++ b/doc/contributing.texi
@@ -29,6 +29,7 @@ Contributing
 * Submitting Patches::          Share your work.
 * Tracking Bugs and Changes::   Keeping it all organized.
 * Commit Access::               Pushing to the official repository.
+* Reviewing the Work of Others::  Some guidelines for sharing reviews.
 * Updating the Guix Package::   Updating the Guix package definition.
 * Writing Documentation::       Improving documentation in GNU Guix.
 * Translating Guix::            Make Guix speak your native language.
@@ -605,7 +606,7 @@ Packaging Guidelines
 * Version Numbers::             When the name is not enough.
 * Synopses and Descriptions::   Helping users find the right package.
 * Snippets versus Phases::      Whether to use a snippet, or a build phase.
-* Cyclic Module Dependencies::   Going full circle.
+* Cyclic Module Dependencies::  Going full circle.
 * Emacs Packages::              Your Elisp fix.
 * Python Modules::              A touch of British comedy.
 * Perl Modules::                Little pearls.
@@ -1972,7 +1973,12 @@ Debbugs Usertags
 tag any bug with an arbitrary label.  Bugs can be searched by usertag,
 so this is a handy way to organize bugs@footnote{The list of usertags is
 public information, and anyone can modify any user's list of usertags,
-so keep that in mind if you choose to use this feature.}.
+so keep that in mind if you choose to use this feature.}.  If you use
+Emacs Debbugs, the entry-point to consult existing usertags is the
+@samp{C-u M-x debbugs-gnu-usertags} procedure.  To set a usertag, press
+@samp{C} while consulting a bug within the *Guix-Patches* buffer opened
+with @samp{C-u M-x debbugs-gnu-bugs} buffer, then select @code{usertag}
+and follow the instructions.
 
 For example, to view all the bug reports (or patches, in the case of
 @code{guix-patches}) tagged with the usertag @code{powerpc64le-linux}
@@ -1985,9 +1991,9 @@ Debbugs Usertags
 to interact with Debbugs.
 
 In Guix, we are experimenting with usertags to keep track of
-architecture-specific issues.  To facilitate collaboration, all our
-usertags are associated with the single user @code{guix}.  The following
-usertags currently exist for that user:
+architecture-specific issues, as well as reviewed ones.  To facilitate
+collaboration, all our usertags are associated with the single user
+@code{guix}.  The following usertags currently exist for that user:
 
 @table @code
 
@@ -2005,6 +2011,9 @@ Debbugs Usertags
 appropriate to assign this usertag to a bug report for a package that
 fails to build reproducibly.
 
+@item reviewed-looks-good
+You have reviewed the series and it looks good to you (LGTM).
+
 @end table
 
 If you're a committer and you want to add a usertag, just start using it
@@ -2237,6 +2246,40 @@ Commit Access
 you're welcome to use your expertise and commit rights to help other
 contributors, too!
 
+@node Reviewing the Work of Others
+@section Reviewing the Work of Others
+
+Perhaps the biggest action you can do to help GNU Guix grow as a project
+is to review the work contributed by others.  You do not need to be a
+committer to do so; applying, building, linting and running other
+people's series and sharing your comments about your experience will
+give some confidence to committers that should result in the proposed
+change being merged faster.
+
+@cindex LGTM, Looks Good To Me
+@cindex reviewing, guidelines
+Review comments should be unambiguous; be as clear and explicit as you
+can about what you think should be changed, ensuring the author can take
+action on it.  The following well understood/codified @acronym{LGTM,
+Looks Good To Me} phrases should be used to sign off as a reviewer,
+meaning you have reviewed the change and that it looks good to you:
+
+@enumerate
+@item
+If the @emph{whole} series (containing multiple commits) looks good to
+you, reply with a @samp{This series LGTM!} to the cover page if it has
+one, or to the last patch of the series otherwise.
+
+@item
+If you instead want to mark a @emph{single commit} as reviewed (but not
+the whole series), simply reply with @samp{LGTM!} to that commit
+message.
+@end enumerate
+
+If you are not a committer, you can help others find a @emph{series} you
+have reviewed more easily by adding a @code{reviewed-looks-good} usertag
+for the @code{guix} user (@pxref{Debbugs Usertags}).
+
 @node Updating the Guix Package
 @section Updating the Guix Package

base-commit: 619ff2fa1d5b60b5fe33216ca2d6219c04a5515b
-- 
2.41.0