Subject: Re: bug#66246: ERC buffer is no longer visible
From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], BTD Master <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 18:24:27 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

BTD Master <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I appreciate the clarification, and I think input stealing is at best
> rude and a worst a security risk, this is true. But I have gone from
> confused to aggrieved.
>
> Also, I guess Arch does not package erc-news? It does not exist. [No
> match] (It's not an issue, I don't mind)

If you mean the command `erc-news', it only exists on master. It does
expect to find an existing etc/ERC-NEWS, but you can optionally download
and display the version from emacs.git by invoking it with C-u.

> If there is still a chance to change this behaviour,

If you mean in Emacs 29, I'd say probably not. We also can't patch ERC
5.5 because GNU ELPA only allows :core packages to track master, which
is already at 5.6.

> may I recommend
> either:
> 1. erc-not-interactive as a command for programmatic use, and revert to
> the previous behavior (my preferred option) OR
> 2. erc-interactive as a command for interactive use, and tell users
> that still use erc or erc-tls or similar that they might want to
> use that
>
> Of course, if neither suggestion is good, I'll get used to the extra
> line in the configuration file, but I might bet a few GNU Bucks that I
> won't be the last filing this pseudo-bug.
>
> All the best, no hard feelings,
> b

I guess you weren't able to try the version on HEAD (ERC 5.6-git). Some
of what you propose is more or less present in the new behavior.

Thanks and closing.