Subject: 29.1; tar-mode errors when saving remote files
From: Dan McCarthy <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:32:04 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The setup is the same as bug#55166:

/ssh:dan@solstice:/tmp/ #$ touch a b c
/ssh:dan@solstice:/tmp/ #$ tar cf test.tar a b c
/ssh:dan@solstice:/tmp/ #$ xz test.tar

but in this case write-file throws an error instead of failing silently:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument "listp
(tramp-file-name-handler tramp-crypt-file-name-handler .
inhibit-file-name-handlers)")
  signal(wrong-type-argument ("listp (tramp-file-name-handler
tramp-crypt-file-name-handler . inhibit-file-name-handlers)"))
  basic-save-buffer-2()
  basic-save-buffer-1()
  basic-save-buffer(nil)
  save-buffer()
  write-file("/ssh:dan@solstice:/tmp/test2.tar.xz" t)
  funcall-interactively(write-file "/ssh:dan@solstice:/tmp/test2.tar.xz" t)
  call-interactively(write-file nil nil)
  command-execute(write-file)

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.31,
 cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-07-31 built on october.example.org
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Slackware 15.0 x86_64

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils sh-script smie treesit executable calculator
vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view pcvs-util vc bug-reference
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs cl-extra shortdoc text-property-search thingatpt
help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace help-mode find-func vc-hg
vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-bzr vc-dispatcher tar-mode arc-mode
archive-mode jka-compr tramp-cmds tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat rx shell
pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date
format-spec auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs cl-loaddefs
cl-lib password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 134931 10283)
 (symbols 48 13252 0)
 (strings 32 47223 1850)
 (string-bytes 1 1527085)
 (vectors 16 25505)
 (vector-slots 8 335082 9416)
 (floats 8 123 55)
 (intervals 56 717 0)
 (buffers 976 23))