Subject: 30.0.50; Tramp+Eshell - No such file or directory
From: jules <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 10:49:10 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

There seems to be an issue when using tramp and eshell at the same time
such that eshell is unable to find the binaries on the remote host and
execute them. I can reproduce this on multiple hosts as well as with
`emacs -Q`.

---
Lets `cd` to the host using tramp and run a few commands
```
~ $ cd /ssh:[email-masked]:/

/ssh:[email-masked]: $ pwd
/ssh:[email-masked]:

/ssh:[email-masked]: $ ls
/ssh:[email-masked]:/bin
...
dd                  ls             ntfswipe       systemd-inhibit
```

So far so good. Using the eshell version of these commands seem to
work. Now what if we call the non-eshell version?

```
/ssh:[email-masked]: $ *ls
env: ‘/bin/ls’: No such file or directory
```

It seems like `ls` cannot be found but we just saw that it existed when
we ran `eshell/ls`. This problem continues with _any_ executable:

```
/ssh:[email-masked]: $ *pwd
env: ‘/bin/pwd’: No such file or directory

/ssh:[email-masked]: $ docker ps
env: ‘/usr/bin/docker’: No such file or directory
```

My version of tramp is: "2.7.0-pre"

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
Repository revision: 30decd1d9777f44e614622ebfe5f35e719a265ca
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: NixOS 23.11 (Tapir)

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/cw3gc9d70lc9p4v2cyvdgsyx8hsf0bgi-emacs-git-20230901.0
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-xft --with-cairo --with-native-compilation --with-tree-sitter'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: C.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Eshell

Minor modes in effect:
  eshell-prompt-mode: t
  eshell-pred-mode: t
  eshell-hist-mode: t
  eshell-cmpl-mode: t
  eshell-proc-mode: t
  eshell-arg-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils tramp-cmds tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-sh tramp
trampver tramp-integration tramp-message tramp-compat xdg parse-time
iso8601 time-date format-spec auth-source eieio eieio-core
password-cache json map tramp-loaddefs compile comp comp-cstr warnings
icons rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra help-mode em-unix em-term term
disp-table shell subr-x ehelp em-script em-prompt text-property-search
em-pred em-ls em-hist em-glob em-extpipe em-cmpl em-dirs em-basic
em-banner em-alias esh-mode esh-var eshell esh-cmd generator cl-loaddefs
cl-lib esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
esh-arg pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring esh-module esh-groups
esh-util files-x rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 145657 16416) (symbols 48 11336 0) (strings 32 37134 2019)
 (string-bytes 1 1243451) (vectors 16 25495)
 (vector-slots 8 519471 16215) (floats 8 41 134) (intervals 56 589 0)
 (buffers 992 15))