Subject: 29.0.92; emacsclient-mail.desktop fails due to complicated escaping
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 02:24:20 +0000 (UTC)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The emacsclient-mail.desktop file fails on my system with the following
error:
"$1": -c: line 2: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `)'

My subsequent mail will fix this also vastly simplify
emacsclient-mail.desktop by adding a new feature to emacsclient to avoid
the need for complex escaping.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.92 (build 68, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2023-07-15 built on earth
Repository revision: 36d3460f9f6064c03fd88e0c969c8e4f4d645235
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: NixOS 23.05 (Stoat)

Configured using:
 'configure --cache-file=config.cache --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-tree-sitter --with-xinput2 CC=gcc PKG_CONFIG=pkg-config
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/nix/store/s3r15m8wbl4wqk4khqlf41ikryhjm1bi-file-5.44-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/f9jbn419h46c78z1pi49yn9a8742b0ql-gnutls-3.8.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/knq0pv08wm4dins7m4jh0n7cv7pjvdjr-nettle-3.9.1-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/dy8p07vrrhdgpnl45xz9c0k0didbikdh-gmp-with-cxx-6.2.1-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/6hkdabzyqhyq5ypq4c9b2cibr1d1zg1s-harfbuzz-7.3.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/hyns944pqgblw4icskylvlpm5krmfvcr-graphite2-1.3.14-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/08cdp9vgvy023ysfa2y01gzsm2jv6phx-jansson-2.14/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/nqlbk40lh7igs61l77dwgdkn8dc2akcm-libxml2-2.10.4-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/b3axl73v3yvqqx7g47njqb5wzxvm280p-zlib-1.2.13-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/3f2rc4inlcxmq11718qmz94v2rpybw70-ncurses-6.4-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/bxy745kyb1fwhpfkiaaz3wgvpkpvwcpq-dbus-1.14.8-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/9714v7c4cgpm4yqcyqk6n9xw9iq3a1bs-expat-2.5.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/zzi7pcadidqh798yddxv6pwdbwpkikma-libselinux-3.3-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/w14j7y5nl14vy4ikcivss35jmrqq3fxj-libotf-0.9.16-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/arhk7hsch4scyv6m24fw03yq6wq5wbbx-m17n-lib-1.8.2/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/1jbbrny8xcjb68lb5m30cvxycfkyhvsv-sqlite-3.42.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/5vx779yqkxaysv48gicwlgv0ippbrhc4-systemd-253.5-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/5vx779yqkxaysv48gicwlgv0ippbrhc4-systemd-253.5-dev/share/pkgconfig:/nix/store/djifahvk3qp06ssqxv6gy1ixdnnypr9s-tree-sitter-0.20.8/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/74aasy1d2r5y27zn68cs1rxwy1llzn05-libwebp-1.3.0/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/8sk7bp89iwb4gw96fq6xakb6lcy2x52n-Xaw3d-1.6.3/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/ppvb3ha8148am3ajnzxnm6i3ri38c01n-libXmu-1.1.3-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/jyxf8cjbj3nzh00x48nfram79i63chdi-libX11-1.8.6-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/zk9v0nr5zdfi1ybkhcfifmxsng7hfl23-xorgproto-2021.5/share/pkgconfig:/nix/store/3q1k18v8aa6mxs538bha4ry0mp3m321l-libxcb-1.14-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/hcscz68zvfk1skyb25wrnha959f6hhrc-libXt-1.2.1-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/kl55wj6qc3v481jsgvzm5w2csnhm84zf-libSM-1.2.3-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/s3f67kvsn55rxp2rc98xv0hkq364yci1-libICE-1.0.10-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/rsw4ri8025jgln8vpsrmg82bzgbcw3zr-cairo-1.16.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/jir0rqbcy0d9qr9kf5cwf2yphql4ykyw-fontconfig-2.14.2-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/n2g3xblaz1k4civv1z6hhm1nsmp3m17p-freetype-2.13.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/isbmyzm2shmp0wsjr4cy45v2i58h2zvw-bzip2-1.0.8-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/bl2qwy78jr2sqm260imgxmd5dzhjqvag-brotli-1.0.9-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/z96jh9ag5b3565lwwb5chjb9bfp5i2qv-libpng-apng-1.6.39-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/jjd4z18grhky6lh8n463v648nnf5628b-pixman-0.42.2/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/qd14wrazwcspjv3q65vgh35pl7b8nifq-libXext-1.3.4-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/gj8i21xx87ip9b971j2d1m0rmrzyhbir-libXau-1.0.9-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/4gpinwwdqhi927xkrfpr1hvdd56baxgk-libXrender-0.9.10-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/d1jbygs6hcn6dysk706i9zf07yd18wmr-xcb-util-0.4.1-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/hdc4ika0mb1cv0cf6dchwxbr004rc50i-glib-2.76.3-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/wxyh848a6xcqy2v8727vcwspri53pqwi-libffi-3.4.4-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/42jx72681qzliic0xsjhvx24cil2gapk-libGL-1.6.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/b9lmdkxpvgkj6zc956fvhshzisqpi767-libglvnd-1.6.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/gff29sbhg1gcw969mpm5rb693kj5v18w-libXaw-1.0.14-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/776xijk8rsb1b4c0dsxwq0k82bvm7mm9-libXpm-3.5.15-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/qizdmm43xi65mdngal8bpbpqcdc8290d-libjpeg-turbo-2.1.5.1-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/db7ix62fx4nvr9j1fjdvnznl2npff4pr-librsvg-2.55.1-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/q0hg0951w1dv9y40m9ggln8phwil6lxc-gdk-pixbuf-2.42.10-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/34rr5nvgljsc4bi3mxjxg8abmjr1f7hn-libtiff-4.5.0-dev/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/zwkr4kjcjs213pw9mhzi46bzlw6qwxzq-libdeflate-1.18/lib/pkgconfig:/nix/store/6na552yzwml88j8g5vqf5h9ir3vw8myi-xz-5.4.3-dev/lib/pkgconfig
 CXX=g++'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Diff

Minor modes in effect:
  whitespace-mode: t
  envrc-global-mode: t
  envrc-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/sbaugh/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /home/sbaugh/src/emacs/emacs-29/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug mpv tq org-timer org-clock org org-macro
org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-python
python compat ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
ob-comint ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-version org-compat org-macs vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs gud
noutline outline debug backtrace shortdoc pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu misc
pulse color compile etags fileloop generator xref cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
bug-reference find-func cl-print help-fns radix-tree mail-extr rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode facemenu dom nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok
whitespace log-view vc conf-mode dabbrev tabify man mule-util jka-compr
tramp-cmds misearch multi-isearch vc-hg vc-bzr nix-mode nix-repl
nix-shell nix-store nix-log nix-instantiate nix-shebang nix-format nix
tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration tramp-compat parse-time iso8601 cus-start vc-git
vc-dispatcher dired-aux dired-x ffap sh-script smie treesit executable
project files-x face-remap exwm-randr xcb-randr exwm exwm-input
xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render
exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto
xcb-types xcb-debug lui-autopaste circe advice lui-irc-colors irc gnutls
lcs lui-logging lui-format lui tracking shorten thingatpt flyspell
ispell circe-compat agda2 envrc inheritenv page-ext magit-extras
magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu
magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit rx log-edit message
sendmail yank-media puny dired desktop frameset dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc server
ansi-color magit-mode transient cl-extra edmacro kmacro help-mode
format-spec magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm dash windmove
easy-mmode pixel-scroll cua-base ring modus-vivendi-theme modus-themes
pcase cus-edit pp cus-load icons wid-edit savehist saveplace finder-inf
ace-window-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site avy-autoloads
circe-autoloads corfu-autoloads compat-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads
cyberpunk-theme-autoloads debbugs-autoloads eat-autoloads
envrc-autoloads exwm-autoloads ggtags-autoloads
graphviz-dot-mode-autoloads htmlize-autoloads inheritenv-autoloads
magit-autoloads git-commit-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
mastodon-autoloads mentor-autoloads async-autoloads mpv-autoloads
nix-mode-autoloads magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads
notmuch-autoloads persist-autoloads request-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads transient-autoloads url-scgi-autoloads
vundo-autoloads which-key-autoloads info with-editor-autoloads
xelb-autoloads xml-rpc-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 793112 58580)
 (symbols 48 42890 0)
 (strings 32 165901 6428)
 (string-bytes 1 8295556)
 (vectors 16 90751)
 (vector-slots 8 2007121 64111)
 (floats 8 418 578)
 (intervals 56 43463 2379)
 (buffers 984 111))