Subject: 30.0.50; ELPA pgk expreg: marking paragraph doesn't work in AUCTeX LaTeX-mode
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:13:57 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When using `expreg-expand' repeatedly in an AUCTeX LaTeX-mode buffer, it
will never mark the complete paragraph.  The reason is that
`expreg--paragraph' tries to distinguish between programming and
text/prose modes where in the former, it wants to mark the defun whereas
in the latter, it marks the paragraph.

AUCTeX LaTeX-mode (and (La)TeX as a language) is kind of a middle ground
between prog-mode and text-mode.  It is derived from text-mode (and NOT
prog-mode) but it defines a `beginning-of-defun-function' which deals
with environments, e.g., \begin{foo}...\end{foo}.  It can make sense to
mark both, the current environment as well as the current paragraph.
However, currently expreg defines a programming mode to derive from
prog-mode OR define a `beginning-of-defun-function' and for a
programming mode, paragraph marking is disabled.

I guess it would be better to have separate `expreg--paragraph' and
`expreg--defun' functions instead of conflating paragraph and defun
marking in `expreg--paragraph'.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 17, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-08-29 built on thinkpad-t440p
Repository revision: 804a96af28235b8a1a1199fc9c2e96e367ce14f6
Repository branch: master
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-tree-sitter --with-pgtk --with-modules'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK
PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: mu4e:main

Minor modes in effect:
  hexl-follow-ascii: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  diredfl-global-mode: t
  mu4e-search-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-update-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-context-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-modeline-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  highlight-parentheses-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  corfu-history-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  switchy-window-minor-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  puni-global-mode: t
  puni-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  overwrite-mode: overwrite-mode-binary

Load-path shadows:
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-modeline hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-modeline
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-context hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-context
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-main hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-main
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-vars hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-vars
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-window hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-window
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-thread hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-thread
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-bookmarks hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-bookmarks
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-org hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-org
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-lists hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-lists
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-actions hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-actions
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-helpers hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-helpers
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-search hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-search
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-server hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-server
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-obsolete hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-obsolete
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-update hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-update
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-draft hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-draft
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-message hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-message
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-compose hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-compose
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-headers hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-headers
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-query-items hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-query-items
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-notification hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-notification
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-contacts hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-contacts
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-mark hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-mark
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-contrib hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-contrib
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-folders hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-folders
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-mime-parts hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-mime-parts
/home/horn/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.3.0.0.20230825.34525/theme-loaddefs hides /home/horn/Repos/el/emacs/lisp/theme-loaddefs
/home/horn/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230825.2019/transient hides /home/horn/Repos/el/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow expreg cap-words superword subword face-remap cus-start emacsbug
so-long view tramp-cmds puni pulse display-fill-column-indicator
display-line-numbers ef-cherie-theme generic totp-widget totp hexl
bindat yaml-mode fish-mode cargo xref project cargo-process web-mode
disp-table preview-latex tex-site editorconfig editorconfig-core
editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch elfeed-show elfeed-search
vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view debbugs-browse
elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl elfeed-log elfeed-db elfeed-lib avl-tree
generator url-queue xml-query hl-todo aggressive-indent rainbow-mode
pdf-occur tablist tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet pdf-isearch
pdf-misc pdf-tools pdf-view jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util
pdf-macs image-mode exif vc-git vc-dir ewoc epa-file diredfl dired-x
mu4e-icalendar gnus-icalendar icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs mu4e
mu4e-org mu4e-notification notifications mu4e-main mu4e-view
mu4e-mime-parts mu4e-headers mu4e-thread mu4e-compose mu4e-draft
mu4e-actions org-capture org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-compat org-version org-macs
smtpmail mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark mu4e-message
flow-fill mule-util hl-line mu4e-contacts mu4e-update mu4e-folders
mu4e-context mu4e-query-items mu4e-server mu4e-modeline mu4e-vars
mu4e-helpers mu4e-config mu4e-window magit-bookmark bookmark ido
mu4e-obsolete hippie-exp auto-dictionary flyspell ispell tramp-smb
which-key highlight-parentheses restclient yasnippet forge-list
forge-commands forge-semi forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs
forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab forge-github ghub-graphql treepy
gsexp ghub let-alist forge-notify forge-revnote forge-pullreq
forge-issue forge-topic yaml forge-post markdown-mode thingatpt noutline
outline forge-repo forge forge-core forge-db closql
emacsql-sqlite-common emacsql emacsql-compiler eieio-base
magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff
smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit log-edit pcvs-util add-log
magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor server magit-mode magit-git
magit-base magit-section cursor-sensor crm dash visual-filename-abbrev
rg vc vc-dispatcher rg-info-hack advice rg-menu transient rg-ibuffer
rg-result wgrep-rg wgrep rg-history rg-header ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs grep compile debbugs soap-client url-http url-auth
url-gw nsm warnings rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp bug-reference
kind-icon svg-lib color corfu-history corfu vertico marginalia icomplete
mb-depth use-package-diminish switchy-window compat elec-pair recentf
tree-widget pixel-scroll cua-base edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key
bind-key diminish repeat treesit saveplace tramp-sh savehist smiley
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader
gnus-util text-property-search mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils range
ef-themes cl-extra use-package-ensure use-package-core finder-inf tramp
rx trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-message help-mode
tramp-compat xdg shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc ring parse-time iso8601
time-date format-spec ansi-color tramp-loaddefs cus-edit pp cus-load
icons wid-edit aggressive-indent-autoloads auto-dictionary-autoloads
cape-autoloads cargo-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads corfu-autoloads
csv-mode-autoloads debbugs-autoloads diminish-autoloads
diredfl-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads
elfeed-autoloads ement-autoloads expreg-autoloads fish-mode-autoloads
forge-autoloads closql-autoloads emacsql-autoloads ghub-autoloads
highlight-parentheses-autoloads hl-todo-autoloads kind-icon-autoloads
magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads marginalia-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads mastodon-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads
persist-autoloads plz-autoloads puni-autoloads easy-mmode
rainbow-mode-autoloads rcirc-color-autoloads request-autoloads
restclient-autoloads rg-autoloads svg-lib-autoloads
symbol-overlay-autoloads tablist-autoloads taxy-magit-section-autoloads
taxy-autoloads magit-section-autoloads totp-autoloads
transient-autoloads treepy-autoloads ts-autoloads s-autoloads
dash-autoloads vertico-autoloads visual-filename-abbrev-autoloads
web-mode-autoloads wgrep-autoloads which-key-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads yaml-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win
term/common-win pgtk-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 706766 103479) (symbols 48 50658 20) (strings 32 228954 7359)
 (string-bytes 1 6621999) (vectors 16 90668) (vector-slots 8 1082834 62919)
 (floats 8 626 333) (intervals 56 1791 593) (buffers 992 15))