Subject: Re: bug#65456: [PATCH 0/2] Split guix build into more steps for 32bit hosts.
From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>, Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>, Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>, Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 06:52:51 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Janneke Nieuwenhuizen writes:

Hi!

> Janneke Nieuwenhuizen writes:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès writes:

> If there are no objections I'll go forward and install this patch by the
> end of the weekend.

So, I've been running guix pull from hurd-team on the Hurd all day.
Starting with the max-25 files split without (gc), it failed 5
consecutive times building guix-packages-base.  Because the initial
patch worked pretty well and had the (gc) call (and yes, also used the
26-way split), I re-added (gc), and now the fourth attempt succeeded.
After `guix-packages-base' built, `guix-packages' then built right away.

I seem to remember guix-packages was the main problem when I wrote the
first version of this patch some four months ago, but that one split the
list of packages 26-way of course.  That suggests that the (combined)
compilation of certain files is especially problematic, or that it has
since become more problematic (<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/66063>).

On the other hand, we may be able to use more than 4GiB of memory on the
Hurd some time soon (and after we upgrade and compile using
--enable-pae)
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hurd/2023-08/msg00090.html>.

Pushed to master as 658de25e990a56265e2398a3737e9cf1eb57af68

Greetings,
Janneke

-- 
Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>  | GNU LilyPond https://LilyPond.org
Freelance IT https://www.JoyOfSource.com | Avatar® https://AvatarAcademy.com