Subject: 29.0.91; `dired-free-space' is a step backward
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 22:03:36 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dunno how such a change was made to the _default_ Emacs behavior.
Shouldn't have happened, IMHO.

Two main problems with this self-styled enhancement:

1. The default behavior should be what we've always had, which
corresponds to NONE of the `dired-free-space' option values.

(It's maybe telling that the option name is about free space, whereas
the detailed info is much more than that.  Maybe that's all that
Someone(TM) thought was important.)

2. Even if you set the option to `separate', so you see the full info,
you can't get the superior previous behavior, which is that there's _no
such info_ shown when you hide details (`(').

Instead, Someone(TM) maybe thought that those interested in what
Someone(TM) doesn't think interesting - the full info - always want to
see that info, even with details hidden.  Blinders...

In GNU Emacs 29.0.91 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2023-05-14 built
 on AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19045.3208)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)