Subject: 30.0.50; [FR] Add command and menu item to open user init file
From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 11:04:31 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

From my experience, many new Emacs users have difficulties adding
things to their init file. Especially on Windows.

I have seen people being stuck when asked to "add some Elisp snippet to
config". They do not fully understand how to open that "config".

In some instances, users just created init.el in some random directory,
modified it, and then got confused why the config is not affecting
anything.

I think that it would be nice to provide an easily accessible command
that opens init.el or creates a new one, if not exists yet.

The command should obviously be available via M-x and maybe also via
menu and toolbar.

WDYT?

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>