Subject: 30.0.50; EPA fails to encrypt files; decryption and manual encryption works
From: Daniel Semyonov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 12:41:54 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

For the past few days I've noticed I can no longer encrypt files with
EPA, both new files which I save with a '.gpg' extension and choose a
recipient, or existing files which are successfully decrypted but I can't
modify and save.
Specifically, when attempting to save, EPA just gets stuck indefinitely
with "Saving file <some file>.gpg..." in the echo area.

AFAIK my GPG config hasn't changed in months (and I fairly recently
encrypted a file with EPA), and I can manually invoke it to encrypt
files (through the terminal or dired for example).
I also got an error yesterday when trying to encrypt a file through
dired (by pressing '!' on the file and typing the command) which said
something about GPG not finding a valid TTY, but I don't remember what
it was and I can't reproduce it now.

To reproduce failure to save an existing file:
1. $ emacs -Q
2. C-x C-f <some file>.gpg
3. Toggle buffer modified by clicking the indicator on the mode line.
4. C-x C-s
5. Wait forever.

To reproduce failure to save a new file:
1. $ emacs -Q
2. C-x C-f <new file>.gpg
3. Toggle buffer modified by clicking the indicator on the mode line.
4. C-x C-s
5. Mark a recipient and press [OK].
6. Wait forever.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 11, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-07-22 built on coldharbour
Repository revision: b59c4d8ee60538345faa3afe51b6acf61f5a605a
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Void Linux

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/opt/Emacs --with-x --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --without-gsettings --without-dbus --with-xinput2 --with-small-ja-dic
 --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2
MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_IL
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  server-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-jinx-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  wincom-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-cite mail-extr emacsbug gnus-topic nndraft nnmh
jka-compr mm-archive timezone url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth nnml
nnfolder utf-7 epa-file network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-cache nnyt nnatom mm-url init-gnus
easy-mmode comp comp-cstr cus-start checkdoc lisp-mnt flymake-proc
flymake project compile warnings thingatpt init-interfaces init-web
finder-inf init-volume init-sensors init-network init-emms init-battery
battery init-programs org-protocol gnus-async nntp gnus-sum shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail
yank-media puny dired-x dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win server init-shell init-pass auth-source-pass init-programming
elec-pair init-ui jinx compat delsel pixel-scroll cua-base repeat
cl-extra help-mode pcase time window-commander autorevert filenotify
minibuf-eldef init-personal gnus nnheader gnus-util text-property-search
mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr org-agenda org-element org-persist
xdg org-id avl-tree generator org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete
comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring org-list org-footnote org-faces
org-entities time-date noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-cycle org-table org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func ol rx org-fold
org-fold-core org-compat org-version org-macs format-spec holidays
holiday-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars ef-winter-theme
ef-tritanopia-dark-theme ef-trio-dark-theme ef-symbiosis-theme
ef-night-theme ef-elea-dark-theme ef-duo-dark-theme
ef-deuteranopia-dark-theme ef-dark-theme ef-cherie-theme ef-bio-theme
ef-autumn-theme ef-tritanopia-light-theme ef-trio-light-theme
ef-summer-theme ef-spring-theme ef-light-theme ef-kassio-theme
ef-frost-theme ef-elea-light-theme ef-duo-light-theme
ef-deuteranopia-light-theme ef-day-theme ef-cyprus-theme ef-themes info
debbugs-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads emms-autoloads jinx-autoloads
compat-autoloads nnyt-autoloads window-commander-autoloads cus-edit pp
cus-load icons wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 684943 348112) (symbols 48 27153 2)
 (strings 32 102498 6188) (string-bytes 1 3552205) (vectors 16 47423)
 (vector-slots 8 828112 298459) (floats 8 469 1036)
 (intervals 56 775 348) (buffers 984 22))