Subject: Re: bug#63399: 28.2; Documentation for yes-or-no-p wrong/different between docstring and lispref
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 12:49:13 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 30.1

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eli,

>> > But there's no difference if the prompt ends in a space.
>>
>> Yes. It is just a convenience change, and there's code in the wild which
>> doesn't use a trailing space in the propmpt, when calling
>> yes-or-no-p. What would be wrong with my patch? I don't see that it
>> hurts.
>
> I'm sure something will come up.  It isn't an accident that we have
> danced around this more than once in the past.
>
> But if you insist, please install on master, and let's see whose gray
> hair is more right...

I've pushed this to master. In NEWS.28, we have

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
** 'yes-or-no-p' and 'y-or-n-p' PROMPT parameter no longer needs trailing space.
In other words, the prompt can now end with "?" instead of "? ".  This
has been the case since Emacs 24.4 but was not announced or documented
until now.  (Checkdoc has also been updated to accept this convention.)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So this is the intended bahavior, and the patch is just a bug fix.

Closing this report.

Best regards, Michael.