Subject: cached guix shell environment not capturing environment variables set in manifest
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: bug-guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 11:34:59 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix,

Consider the following manifest.scm file:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(setenv "DUMMY" "hello")

(packages->manifest
 (map specification->package
      (list "hello")))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Running:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix shell --rebuild-cache -m manifest.scm -- sh -c 'echo $DUMMY'
hello

$ guix shell -m manifest.scm -- sh -c 'echo $DUMMY'
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I think this is a recent behavior change, otherwise I wouldn't have
gotten fond of that trick ;-).

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim