Subject: 30.0.50; display-buffer-in-childframe sometimes crashes Emacs on Mac
From: Yuan Fu <[email-masked]>
To: Bug Report Emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 00:38:33 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

X-Debbugs-CC: [email-masked]

Reproduction is pretty easy, just evaluate

(display-buffer-in-child-frame (get-buffer-create "*test*") nil)

Perhaps I'm missing something? Because packages that uses childframe like eldoc-box are working fine. I tried using the same ALIST as eldoc-box, and various buffers like newly created buffer and current buffer, but it always crashes

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 46, x86_64-apple-darwin22.4.0, NS
appkit-2299.50 Version 13.3.1 (Build 22E261)) of 2023-04-16 built on
Brown
Repository revision: 6c81ef4cf985dad908fc473f31c0daf662fd2dad
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.3.1

Configured using:
'configure --with-pdumper=yes --with-ns
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GLIB GNUTLS JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER
PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 36193 12385)
(symbols 48 5099 0)
(strings 32 12577 1962)
(string-bytes 1 351234)
(vectors 16 9352)
(vector-slots 8 147536 10497)
(floats 8 21 17)
(intervals 56 202 0)
(buffers 984 11))