Subject: mpd defaul configuration does not work ('No database' error)
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: bug-guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 22:58:16 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Our MPD service does not work out of the box.  Running under its default
'mpd' user, clients would get the following error attempting to update
its database, e.g. by running 'mpc update':

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
MPD error: database
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

This particular problem was solved by adding the following field to my
mpd-configuration record (thanks to Bruno):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
                (database (mpd-plugin
                           (plugin "simple")
                           (extra-options
                            '((path . "/var/lib/mpd/database")
                              (cache-directory . "/var/cache/mpd")))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

and running

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
mkdir /var/cache/mpd && chown mpd:users /var/cache/mpd
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Now the above error is gone, but I do not hear any audio coming out, so
there seems to be another problem.

I'm opening this ticket so that we can document and resolve all these
issues in the configuration, so that hopefully our mpd system service
can work out of the box.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim