Subject: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot
From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2023 23:12:43 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I've been meaning to report this for some time.  I really think this
should be fixed in Emacs 29 before it ships.

src/emacs -Q # Emacs 29

M-x package-install RET eglot RET

Echoes "No match", even though eglot 1.14 is available from GNU ELPA.
That's because Eglot is a :core ELPA package and it's already in Emacs
29, so package.el thinks there is nothing to install.

Evaluating (package-install 'eglot) also doesn't work.  Errors with
"'eglot' is already installed"

In Emacs 28, both these alternatives work as expected (because Eglot
isn't a :core package there).

It's not impossible to upgrade in Emacs 29, of course.  The only way I
know is to M-x package-list-packages, find Eglot 1.14 in the list, mark
it with 'i' and confirm installation with 'x'.  But it is very awkward.

João