Subject: 30.0.50; analyze-text-conversion in Android
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 13:29:43 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: Emacs
Version: 30.0.50

I tried out the Emacs distributed on F-Droid, which is apparently built
from our feature/android work, and I bumped into
`analyze-text-conversion`.  Currently, this breaks things like `ESC x`
(I don't have Meta/Alt on my keyboard) or `C-h l` because the second
event I get is not a letter (like `x` or `l`) but the event
`text-conversion`.  I guess this may depend on the keyboard, admittedly.

IIUC this is tied to the feature whereby you can "build" a word from the
keyboard before sending it "for real" to Emacs, but you get to see this
word in your buffer before it's "committed"?

Maybe `text-conversion` should not be generated when we're "in the
middle" of `read-key-sequence`?  Or maybe `text-conversion` should be
turned into a sequence of "normal" events via `input-decode-map`?
Or maybe more of the event processing should be done in ELisp and less
in C (i.e. the raw events would be exposed to ELisp and they'd be
processed a bit more like we do with our input-methods)?

I'm not very knowledgeable about this topic (under Android I use my
on-screen keyboards as if they were normal keyboards, very rarely even
making use of the predictive features).

        Stefan