Subject: 29.0.60; typescript-ts-mode and tsx-ts-mode does not highlight variable-declarations in catch-clauses
From: Jostein Kjønigsen <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, Yuan Fu <[email-masked]>, Theodor Thornhill <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 09:17:25 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Consider the following code when using typescript-ts-mode or tsx-ts-mode:

     try {

     } catch (err) {

     }

     try {

     } catch (err: Error) {

     }

In neither of the above cases, the code "err" will not be highlighted as 
a variable.

Attached is a patch which fixes this.

--
Jostein

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 7, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-01-01 built on ThinkPad-T14s
Repository revision: f12f72b0e09c7a45098955c1304499963a5eb9a7
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201003
System Description: Ubuntu 22.10

Configured using:
  'configure --with-json --with-tree-sitter'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
   bug-reference-prog-mode: t
   global-git-commit-mode: t
   magit-auto-revert-mode: t
   elisp-slime-nav-mode: t
   paredit-mode: t
   highlight-symbol-mode: t
   flycheck-mode: t
   editorconfig-mode: t
   company-mode: t
   which-function-mode: t
   helm-mode: t
   helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
   async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   global-auto-revert-mode: t
   yas-global-mode: t
   yas-minor-mode: t
   global-nlinum-mode: t
   nlinum-mode: t
   ido-yes-or-no-mode: t
   override-global-mode: t
   server-mode: t
   global-hl-line-mode: t
   pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
   doom-modeline-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jostein/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20221202.1727/transient hides 
/home/jostein/build/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug yaml-mode json-ts-mode misearch multi-isearch
rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok mule-util pulse
markdown-mode color git-rebase goto-addr org-element org-persist org-id
org-refile avl-tree oc-basic ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls
dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win
ol-docview doc-view jka-compr ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view vc
bug-reference magit-extras magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame
magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch
magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit
message sendmail rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util magit-core magit-autorevert
magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor magit-mode
transient magit-git magit-base magit-section crm compat-27 compat-26
cus-start dired-aux mail-extr grep flyspell ispell yank-media sgml-mode
facemenu executable helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug helm-info
typescript-ts-mode js face-remap disp-table elec-pair csharp-mode
c-ts-mode treesit cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs vc-git diff-mode
vc-dispatcher vc-svn winner ffap tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cache
time-stamp zeroconf dbus add-log ido-completing-read+ memoize
minibuf-eldef elisp-slime-nav paredit highlight-symbol flycheck
editorconfig editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle
editorconfig-fnmatch company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags
etags fileloop generator company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake
company-semantic company-template company-bbdb company eglot
external-completion array jsonrpc ert ewoc debug backtrace flymake-proc
flymake warnings which-func hideshow eww url-queue thingatpt shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml dom puny mm-url gnus nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr helm-imenu imenu
ob-plantuml org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces
org-entities noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle
org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs pcase
helm-mode helm-misc helm-files image-dired image-dired-tags
image-dired-external image-dired-util xdg image-mode dired
dired-loaddefs exif tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration
cus-edit pp cus-load icons wid-edit files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete
parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags
helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp format-spec helm-utils helm-help
helm-types helm helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu helm-core
async-bytecomp helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib async helm-config
delsel autorevert filenotify yasnippet derived nlinum linum
ido-yes-or-no advice ido edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode xref project server hl-line pixel-scroll cua-base
compile-eslint compile comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring doom-modeline
doom-modeline-segments doom-modeline-env doom-modeline-core
all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons
data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons shrink-path
rx f f-shortdoc shortdoc text-property-search s dash compat compat-macs
dracula-theme cl-extra help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core
finder-inf flycheck-autoloads helm-autoloads helm-core-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads all-the-icons-autoloads bmx-mode-autoloads
doom-modeline-autoloads async-autoloads dracula-theme-autoloads
highlight-symbol-autoloads multiple-cursors-autoloads
projectile-autoloads nlinum-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads epl-autoloads
undo-tree-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads
magit-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads elisp-slime-nav-autoloads
crontab-mode-autoloads ido-yes-or-no-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
cargo-autoloads ido-completing-read+-autoloads memoize-autoloads
paredit-autoloads company-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads
powershell-autoloads dap-mode-autoloads lsp-docker-autoloads
yaml-autoloads lsp-treemacs-autoloads treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads
posframe-autoloads hydra-autoloads pfuture-autoloads
ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads bui-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads
lv-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads spinner-autoloads ht-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads transient-autoloads compat-autoloads
cmake-mode-autoloads shrink-path-autoloads f-autoloads info
dash-autoloads s-autoloads popup-autoloads queue-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1137945 131582)
  (symbols 48 56825 20)
  (strings 32 248331 18269)
  (string-bytes 1 7477374)
  (vectors 16 109772)
  (vector-slots 8 1287697 172300)
  (floats 8 1447 755)
  (intervals 56 49913 3679)
  (buffers 984 107))

-- 
Vennlig hilsen
*Jostein Kjønigsen*

[email-masked] 🍵 [email-masked]
https://jostein.kjønigsen.no <https://jostein.kjønigsen.no>

From 839f643674648026d055c69ddce3a00cf05b32fb Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: =?UTF-8?q?Jostein=20Kj=C3=B8nigsen?= <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 09:13:23 +0100
Subject: [PATCH 2/2] Fix highlighting of variable-declarations in
 typescript-ts-mode

lisp/progmodes/typescript-ts-mode.el:
highlight variable declarations in catch-clauses.
---
 lisp/progmodes/typescript-ts-mode.el | 5 ++++-
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/lisp/progmodes/typescript-ts-mode.el b/lisp/progmodes/typescript-ts-mode.el
index e0583f4b05c..97b9ccc88bc 100644
--- a/lisp/progmodes/typescript-ts-mode.el
+++ b/lisp/progmodes/typescript-ts-mode.el
@@ -194,7 +194,10 @@ typescript-ts-mode--font-lock-settings
       name: (array_pattern
              (identifier)
              (identifier) @font-lock-function-name-face)
-      value: (array (number) (function))))
+      value: (array (number) (function)))
+
+     (catch_clause
+      parameter: (identifier) @font-lock-variable-name-face))
 
    :language language
    :override t
-- 
2.37.2