Subject: Re: bug#60255: Memory Leak
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ryan Wilson <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 02:47:00 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 18:48:02 -0800
>>> From:  Ryan Wilson via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
>>>
>>> I am just using emacs normally, mostly for typescript development, so
>>> that might be the offending mode. Emacs is currently using 1.7GB of
>>> memory, the other day I killed it after I saw it was using 19.9GB. I ran
>>> memory report and nothing was reported as using significant memory.
>>>
>>> Memory report output
>>
>> It could be that a large part of memory that is mapped into the Emacs
>> process is actually free, and glibc keeps it because it cannot release
>> it to the system for some reason.
>>
>> When you get a significantly larger memory footprint again, please
>> invoke the function 'malloc-info', and post here everything it writes
>> to stderr stream.  The data this produces will show how much memory is
>> actually in use.
>
> Ryan, it seems like we need more information here to make any progress.
>
> Are you still seeing this?  If yes, did you have a chance to look into
> this any further?

More information was requested, but none was given within 4 months, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.