Subject: Re: [bug#60039] Update GDAL and NetCDF and include lz4 and openjpeg support
From: Guillaume Le Vaillant <[email-masked]>
To: Roman Scherer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 10:58:44 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Roman Scherer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Hi Guillaume,
>
> sorry about that. Here is another patch. The failed dependencies you
> mentioned are working now. Another reason why netcdf-parallel-openmpi
> failed was that I changed the build system previously to cmake. I went
> back to use the original gnu build system. I changed it to cmake
> initially because I saw that in Arch Linux's PKGBUILD and I remember
> having had some problems initially. I guess it was related to the tests
> I now patched.
>
> While at the topic. Do we prefer any build system over the other in
> general in Guix, like cmake vs gnu. Does one have more features than the
> other (I heard something about cross compilation)?

Usually the best build system is the one that upstream developers use.
If several equivalent build systems can be used, it depends what works
best or what is easier in Guix...

> And another question. How did you find the failing dependencies in the
> first place? Did you build all the dependencies of the netcdf packages
> with --sources=all?

You can find the dependents of a package with:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
./pre-inst-env guix refresh -l <package-name>
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So you can rebuild all the dependents of a package with something like:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
./pre-inst-env guix build $(./pre-inst-env guix refresh -l <package-name> | cut -d ':' -f 2)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Patch pushed as 66188398c446bdf9ce044fa539536e9b54c28c60 with a complete
commit message.
Thanks.