Subject: 29.0.60; treesit-query-validate creates editable buffer
From: Jostein Kjønigsen <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, Yuan Fu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 08:46:47 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When trying to validate a tree-sitter query, one is encouraged to use 
treesit-validate-query.

This buffer is editable and needs to be manually killed.

When you are iterating on a query and get lots of validation errors, 
this gets annoying.

It would be much better if the buffer was non-editable and quittable 
like most other generated buffers in Emacs.

Attached is a patch which fixes this.

--

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-12-09 built on ThinkPad-T14s
Repository revision: 37f3038d791c1e52b92fbbaf8221092ae8a2f284
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201003
System Description: Ubuntu 22.10

Configured using:
  'configure --with-json --with-tree-sitter'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: nb_NO.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Magit

Minor modes in effect:
   dap-tooltip-mode: t
   dap-ui-many-windows-mode: t
   dap-ui-controls-mode: t
   dap-ui-mode: t
   dap-auto-configure-mode: t
   dap-mode: t
   global-git-commit-mode: t
   magit-auto-revert-mode: t
   treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
   treemacs-follow-mode: t
   treemacs-git-mode: t
   treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
   editorconfig-mode: t
   which-function-mode: t
   helm-mode: t
   helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   helm--remap-mouse-mode: t
   async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   global-auto-revert-mode: t
   yas-global-mode: t
   yas-minor-mode: t
   global-nlinum-mode: t
   ido-yes-or-no-mode: t
   override-global-mode: t
   server-mode: t
   global-hl-line-mode: t
   pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
   doom-modeline-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jostein/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20221202.1727/transient hides 
/home/jostein/build/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping uni-confusable textsec-check
ucs-normalize url-cache url-auth sgml-mode facemenu c-ts-mode printing
ps-print ps-print-loaddefs lpr csharp-mode cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
cl-print shadow sort emacsbug mail-extr misearch multi-isearch
lsp-diagnostics lsp-headerline lsp-icons lsp-modeline dap-mouse dap-ui
gdb-mi bindat gud bui bui-list bui-info bui-entry bui-core bui-history
bui-button bui-utils lsp-lens dap-gdb-lldb dap-netcore dap-node
dap-utils dap-pwsh dap-python dap-mode dap-tasks dap-launch posframe
dap-overlays view python skeleton helm-bookmark helm-net helm-adaptive
magit-bookmark treemacs-bookmarks treemacs-tags bookmark help-fns
radix-tree apropos goto-addr helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug
debug backtrace helm-info git-rebase magit-extras flyspell ispell
face-remap magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit message sendmail
yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader pcvs-util magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor magit-mode transient magit-git
magit-base magit-section crm compat-27 compat-26 elec-pair toml-ts-mode
treesit executable disp-table bug-reference vc-git diff-mode
vc-dispatcher vc-svn winner ffap tramp-archive tramp-gvfs zeroconf
tramp-cache time-stamp dbus add-log lsp-zig lsp-steep lsp-svelte
lsp-sqls lsp-ruby-syntax-tree lsp-yaml lsp-xml lsp-vimscript lsp-vhdl
lsp-volar lsp-vetur lsp-html lsp-verilog lsp-vala lsp-v lsp-typeprof
lsp-ttcn3 lsp-toml lsp-terraform lsp-tex lsp-sorbet lsp-solargraph
lsp-rust lsp-rf lsp-remark lsp-racket lsp-r lsp-purescript lsp-pylsp
lsp-pyls lsp-pwsh lsp-php lsp-pls lsp-perlnavigator lsp-perl
lsp-openscad lsp-ocaml lsp-magik lsp-nix lsp-nim lsp-nginx lsp-mint
lsp-marksman lsp-markdown lsp-lua lsp-kotlin lsp-json lsp-javascript
lsp-idris lsp-haxe lsp-groovy lsp-hack lsp-graphql lsp-gleam lsp-go
lsp-completion lsp-gdscript lsp-fsharp lsp-fortran lsp-eslint lsp-erlang
lsp-emmet lsp-elixir lsp-elm lsp-dockerfile lsp-docker yaml lsp-dhall
lsp-d lsp-css lsp-csharp gnutls lsp-crystal lsp-cmake lsp-clojure
lsp-treemacs lsp-treemacs-generic lsp-treemacs-themes treemacs-treelib
treemacs treemacs-header-line treemacs-compatibility treemacs-mode
treemacs-interface treemacs-persistence treemacs-filewatch-mode
treemacs-follow-mode treemacs-rendering treemacs-annotations
treemacs-async treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom treemacs-visuals
treemacs-fringe-indicator treemacs-scope pulse treemacs-faces
treemacs-icons treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture
treemacs-logging treemacs-customization treemacs-macros
lsp-semantic-tokens lsp-clangd lsp-beancount lsp-bash lsp-astro
lsp-ansible lsp-angular lsp-ada warnings lsp-actionscript
ido-completing-read+ memoize minibuf-eldef elisp-slime-nav paredit
lsp-mode lsp-protocol tree-widget spinner network-stream nsm
markdown-mode color lv inline ht ewoc epg rfc6068 epg-config
highlight-symbol flycheck editorconfig editorconfig-core
editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-clang
company-capf company-cmake company-semantic company-template
company-bbdb company which-func hideshow eww url-queue thingatpt shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml dom puny mm-url gnus nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr helm-imenu pcase imenu
ob-plantuml org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces
org-entities noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle
org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs helm-mode
helm-misc helm-files image-dired image-dired-tags image-dired-external
image-dired-util xdg image-mode dired dired-loaddefs exif tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration cus-edit pp cus-load icons
wid-edit files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601
time-date ls-lisp helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate
helm-grep helm-regexp format-spec helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm
helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu helm-core async-bytecomp helm-source
helm-multi-match helm-lib async helm-config delsel autorevert filenotify
yasnippet derived nlinum linum ido-yes-or-no advice ido edmacro kmacro
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode xref project server hl-line
pixel-scroll cua-base compile-eslint compile comint ansi-osc ansi-color
ring doom-modeline doom-modeline-segments doom-modeline-env
doom-modeline-core all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material
data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons
data-alltheicons shrink-path rx f f-shortdoc shortdoc
text-property-search s dash compat compat-macs dracula-theme cl-extra
help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core finder-inf
flycheck-autoloads helm-autoloads helm-core-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads all-the-icons-autoloads bmx-mode-autoloads
doom-modeline-autoloads async-autoloads dracula-theme-autoloads
highlight-symbol-autoloads multiple-cursors-autoloads nlinum-autoloads
toml-mode-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads epl-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads magit-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads elisp-slime-nav-autoloads crontab-mode-autoloads
ido-yes-or-no-autoloads magit-section-autoloads cargo-autoloads
ido-completing-read+-autoloads memoize-autoloads paredit-autoloads
company-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads powershell-autoloads
dap-mode-autoloads lsp-docker-autoloads yaml-autoloads
lsp-treemacs-autoloads treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads
posframe-autoloads hydra-autoloads pfuture-autoloads
ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads bui-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads
lv-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads spinner-autoloads ht-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads transient-autoloads compat-autoloads
cmake-mode-autoloads shrink-path-autoloads f-autoloads info
dash-autoloads s-autoloads popup-autoloads queue-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1178894 103773)
  (symbols 48 60013 53)
  (strings 32 294047 8420)
  (string-bytes 1 8110587)
  (vectors 16 156466)
  (vector-slots 8 2717789 155706)
  (floats 8 1347 1114)
  (intervals 56 31142 4514)
  (buffers 992 72))

-- 
Vennlig hilsen
*Jostein Kjønigsen*

[email-masked] 🍵 [email-masked]
https://jostein.kjønigsen.no <https://jostein.kjønigsen.no>

From 6f9814127fde5aae80afb9254739807c75855225 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: =?UTF-8?q?Jostein=20Kj=C3=B8nigsen?= <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 08:42:33 +0100
Subject: [PATCH 5/5] Make treesit-query-validate create a read-only buffer

lisp/treesit.el: use view-mode for generated validation buffer.
---
 lisp/treesit.el | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/lisp/treesit.el b/lisp/treesit.el
index 85154d0d1c7..dcb2ef99285 100644
--- a/lisp/treesit.el
+++ b/lisp/treesit.el
@@ -1835,7 +1835,8 @@ treesit-query-validate
              (goto-char (point-min))
              (insert (format "%s: %d\n" message start))
              (forward-char start)))
-         (pop-to-buffer buf))))))
+         (pop-to-buffer buf)))))
+  (view-mode))
 
 ;;; Explorer
 
-- 
2.37.2