Subject: 29.0.50; Lisp files with other encoding than UTF-8?
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 11:38:46 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I noticed that codespell was having trouble with one of our files
(ethio-util.el), refusing to read it as UTF-8.  This lead to some
unexpected and unwanted behavior.

So I took a closer look and found that several files in lisp/ appear to
be use some other encoding than UTF-8:

$ cd lisp ; for f in $(git ls-files|egrep '.el$'); \
    do file $f | grep -v UTF-8 | grep -v " ASCII" ; \
  done ; cd -
international/titdic-cnv.el: Lisp/Scheme program, Non-ISO
extended-ASCII text, with LF, NEL line terminators
language/ethio-util.el: Lisp/Scheme program, Non-ISO extended-ASCII
text, with LF, NEL line terminators
language/ethiopic.el: Lisp/Scheme program, Non-ISO extended-ASCII text
language/ind-util.el: Lisp/Scheme program, Non-ISO extended-ASCII
text, with LF, NEL line terminators
language/tibet-util.el: Lisp/Scheme program, Non-ISO extended-ASCII
text, with LF, NEL line terminators
language/tibetan.el: Non-ISO extended-ASCII text, with LF, NEL line terminators
leim/quail/ethiopic.el: Non-ISO extended-ASCII text, with LF, NEL line
terminators
leim/quail/tibetan.el: Lisp/Scheme program, Non-ISO extended-ASCII
text, with LF, NEL line terminators

Should these files be converted to UTF-8?