Subject: 28.2; Toolbar icons missing until X server is restarted
From: Xuanrui Qi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 17:37:00 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When running Emacs, initially I see no icons on the toolbar, only
text ("save", "undo", etc). However, if I restart my X server by e.g. pressing
Alt-F2 and then
typing "r" under GDM, the icons appear correctly on the toolbar.

I have not been able to fix this problem even by reinstalling Emacs and
clearing all Emacs configuration files, and I could not reproduce it on
any other systems I control either, even though they are very similarly
configured.

I am not sure if this is a Emacs problem, but I don't see any missing
icons in other GTK applications.

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34, cairo
version 1.17.6)
 of 2022-09-12 built on frederik
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-native-compilation
 --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
 --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt
 -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -g
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug -flto=auto'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_MONETARY: ja_JP.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: ja_JP.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: ja_JP.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  projectile-rails-global-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/xuanrui/.opam/4.14.0/share/emacs/site-lisp/dune hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dune
/home/xuanrui/.opam/4.14.0/share/emacs/site-lisp/dune-watch hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dune-watch
/home/xuanrui/.opam/4.14.0/share/emacs/site-lisp/dune-flymake hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dune-flymake

Features:
(pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail server company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-clang
company-capf company-cmake company-semantic company-template
company-bbdb company-robe merlin-xref merlin-cap merlin advice
opam-user-setup company-auctex company latex latex-flymake flymake-proc
flymake tex-ispell tex-style tex dbus xml crm texmathp lsp-haskell lsp
lsp-mode comp comp-cstr warnings lsp-protocol yasnippet xref project
tree-widget spinner pcase network-stream markdown-mode rx noutline
outline lv inline imenu ht filenotify ewoc agda2 rvm cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
mediawiki url-cache mm-url gnus nnheader wid-edit mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mail-utils
time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode url-http url-auth url-gw nsm rmc
puny rime rime-predicates xdg posframe popup edmacro kmacro linum
cl-extra help-mode solarized-dark-theme solarized-palettes solarized
solarized-faces color projectile-rails rake f f-shortdoc shortdoc dash s
inflections inf-ruby ruby-mode smie autoinsert projectile lisp-mnt
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr grep
compile text-property-search comint ansi-color ring ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs thingatpt cus-load exec-path-from-shell use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf
tex-site info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 546848 20553)
 (symbols 48 37959 3)
 (strings 32 148553 5641)
 (string-bytes 1 4101976)
 (vectors 16 56230)
 (vector-slots 8 941031 37082)
 (floats 8 350 140)
 (intervals 56 413 0)
 (buffers 992 13))