Subject: Re: bug#58353: 29.0.50; Eshell in buffer completion not inserting chosen completion
From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
To: Mohamed Suliman <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 11:39:49 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 10/7/2022 2:57 AM, Mohamed Suliman via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the 
Swiss army knife of text editors wrote:
> 
> When cycling through the *Completions* window that pops up when I type,
> say, `cd <TAB>' in eshell using the M-<down> and M-<up> key bindings, I
> then select a completion (in this case a directory to cd into) using
> M-<return>, but instead of inserting the chosen completion into my
> eshell buffer, I get a message in the minibuffer saying "Text is read
> only". To replicate after starting `emacs -Q':
> 
> 1. `M-x eshell'
> 2. Type `cd' and then hit <TAB>
> 3. Cycle through the *Completions* buffer that pops up with M-<down> and
> M-<up>.
> 4. Select a completion with M-<return>

This works for me on Emacs 29 and 30. Bisecting it, I see that this was 
fixed by bug#61535. Closing this now. (Though if you still see the 
issue, feel free to reply and I'll take another look.)