Subject: 29.0.50; Autoloaded function raises (void-function org-element-cache-reset) when called within major-mode body
From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 16:33:39 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I am forwarding a bug report from Org mode.
https://list.orgmode.org/[email-masked]/T/#u

I am able to reproduce the reported steps (see below) and I find that
the void-function error is raised when calling (org-mode). `org-mode'
body calls `org-element-cache-reset', which should be autoloaded from
org-element.el. Yet, void-function error is raised.

I either misunderstand something about autoload or it is some kind of
Emacs bug.

Steps to reproduce:

https://list.orgmode.org/[email-masked]/T/#u

Org mode version is the latest from
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/

> I ran this:
> dortmann@ddo-linux:.emacs.d$ emacs -Q --debug-init asdf.el
> ... and then ran eval-buffer.
> 
> Where asdf.el has this content:
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/dortmann/src/git-org-mode/lisp")
> (require 'org)
> 
> (setq org-capture-templates
>        `(("c" "Item to current clocked task" checkitem
>         (clock)
>         "%i%?" :prepend t :empty-lines 1)))
> 
> Then I loaded asdf.org which has this:
> * TODO start clock on this test item

> These two lines are in my *Messages* buffer:
> File mode specification error: (void-function org-element-cache-reset)
> Error during redisplay: (jit-lock-function 1) signaled (void-variable 
> org-element-citation-prefix-re)

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-09-07 built on localhost
Repository revision: 473313d2a85a7ae73daf5cc7c205f6285286eecf
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Gentoo Linux

-- 
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at https://orgmode.org/.
Support Org development at https://liberapay.com/org-mode,
or support my work at https://liberapay.com/yantar92