Subject: 29.0.50; variable-pitch font issue with medium weight default font
From: Amin Bandali <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 21:35:24 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

As of the recent 6b1ed2f2c99a1c2da56c5f434570c438cad6576d, I've been
experiencing an issue where Emacs chooses / falls back on 'misc-fixed'
instead of the correct sans-serif variable-pitch font ('GNU FreeSans',
for me) when I use a custom default font with medium weight.

Screenshots from before (no issue) and after (with issue) the commit:

https://kelar.org/~bandali/tmp/20220903/before-6b1ed2f.png
https://kelar.org/~bandali/tmp/20220903/after-6b1ed2f.png

This happens regardless of whether I set the font via X resources:

    Emacs.font: Source Code Pro Medium-10.5

or with Emacs Lisp:

    (set-frame-font "Source Code Pro-10.5:weight=medium" nil t)

This happens only if I use the medium weight variant, and if I leave
that out and just use Source Code Pro (regular) this doesn't happen.
Also, perhaps strangely enough, the issue seems to only affect the
regular variable-pitch font: e.g. italic variable-pitch is correctly
displayed in sans-serif.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 86, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2022-09-02 built on langa
Repository revision: 63ee620700b1d85f7069a0b0f4232815e5374b4c
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Trisquel GNU/Linux Nabia (10.0.1)

Configured using:
 'configure --without-gconf --without-gsettings --without-gpm
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-xaw3d --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP
X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-cite flyspell ispell mail-extr emacsbug gnus-topic
nndoc nndraft nnmh utf-7 epa-file network-stream nsm nnfolder nnnil
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig nntp gnus-cache
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny dired-x
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr battery dbus
cmake-font-lock boxquote rect cl-extra yasnippet help-mode server
winner windmove cmake-mode thingatpt derived rst compile
text-property-search hl-todo pcase delight ffs pixel-scroll cua-base
tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-sh tramp rx tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load icons files-x
tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601
time-date ls-lisp format-spec recentf tree-widget wid-edit savehist
saveplace easy-mmode display-fill-column-indicator autorevert
filenotify time xml finder-inf boxquote-autoloads
modus-themes-autoloads info package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib view bandali-po bandali-erc bandali-message bandali-gnus
bandali-dired bandali-ibuffer ibuf-macs bandali-eshell bandali-org
advice rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 272607 55417)
 (symbols 48 21970 2)
 (strings 32 80614 6279)
 (string-bytes 1 2420189)
 (vectors 16 37593)
 (vector-slots 8 437507 11528)
 (floats 8 264 106)
 (intervals 56 1444 0)
 (buffers 1000 24))