Subject: 29.0.50; Most emoji not displaying in PGTK emacs
From: Michael Eliachevitch <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 14:10:25 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I use emacs under wayland (sway) with PGTK and native compilation,
compiled from master. However, I found that in this configuration, at
least in my recent builds, unicode emoji are not properly displayed.
E.g. if I call `emoji-list', most emoji are not shown at all, except
very basic emoji like "Smileys > affection." If I insert a unicode
emoji, I just see a unicode placeholder. Calling `describe-char' on the
"Smileys > smiling" emoji from the *Emoji* buffer gives gives me:

                position: 65 of 2529 (3%), column: 0
                character: C-j (displayed as C-j) (codepoint 10, #o12, #xa)
                charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
    code point in charset: 0x0A
                script: latin
                syntax:   	which means: whitespace
                to input: type "C-x 8 RET a" or "C-x 8 RET LINE FEED (LF)"
            buffer code: #x0A
                file code: not encodable by coding system nil
                display: no font available

I tried using a different emoji font via customizing the emoji face,
where I set the font family to "JoyPixels", but this resulted in emacs crashing.

I could not find an existing ticket with "emoji" in the subject that
fits my symptoms, but maybe I didn't look properly or this is a symptom
of another known bug. Or I just misconfigured something on my system
which results in problems with the coding system or something that
happens due to my compilation options. Anyway, I don't know what else to
do to fix this on my own, so I would be happy for hints of if this can
be fixed somehow.

Best regards,
Michael Eliachevitch
---

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2022-08-11 built on e490
Repository revision: 89f51673792b13ae0d1b93d0bf8e35d452693c9c
Repository branch: makepkg
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-modules --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --without-gconf
 --enable-link-time-optimization --with-native-compilation
 --with-xinput2 --with-pgtk --without-xaw3d --with-sound=no
 --with-xwidgets --without-gpm --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=native -mtune=generic -O3 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK
PNG RSVG SECCOMP SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM
XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: C
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils emoji-labels
emoji generate-lisp-file multisession sqlite transient comp comp-cstr
warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq format-spec edmacro kmacro eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 118945 18632)
 (symbols 48 21096 1)
 (strings 32 102059 1853)
 (string-bytes 1 2486759)
 (vectors 16 26117)
 (vector-slots 8 1148486 18229)
 (floats 8 39 31)
 (intervals 56 744 0)
 (buffers 992 13))

--
Michael Eliachevitch
Public PGP Key: https://keyoxide.org/hkp/546908c782383ad0e7d894ec1b8f95c8125dce31