Subject: 29.0.50; Cursor is the same width as tab-width when point is on a tab character
From: Justin Guenther <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 16:29:07 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

starting a week or 2 ago (approximately around c829e63b0a), when point
is on a tab character, the cursor appears to be as wide as `tab-width'.

From any `emacs -Q` buffer:
* insert a tab character
* put point on it
* observe that cursor is 8 chars wide

---

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0, NS
appkit-1894.70 Version 10.15.7 (Build 19H1922))
 of 2022-07-25 built on <snip>
Repository revision: 0f9c28f00879e86713350a5bbff1f6f158874273
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.15.7

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns --with-modules
 '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 --with-native-compilation CC=clang 'CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/opt/gcc/include
 -I/usr/local/opt/libgccjit/include -O2 -march=native'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11
 -L/usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin19/11
 -L/usr/local/opt/libgccjit/lib/gcc/11 -I/usr/local/opt/gcc/include
 -I/usr/local/opt/libgccjit/include -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names
 -L/usr/local/opt/[email-masked]/lib -L/usr/local/opt/openssl/lib
 -L/usr/local/opt/jansson/lib -ljansson
 -L/usr/local/opt/imagemagick@6/lib -L/usr/local/opt/icu4c/lib
 -L/usr/local/opt/libgccjit/lib/gcc/11
 -I/usr/local/opt/libgccjit/include'
 'CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/opt/[email-masked]/include
 -I/usr/local/opt/openssl/include -I/usr/local/opt/jansson/include
 -I/usr/local/opt/imagemagick@6/include -I/usr/local/opt/icu4c/include '
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/share/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/expat/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libxml2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/ncurses/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/zlib/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/os/mac/pkgconfig/10.15:/usr/local/opt/[email-masked]/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/openssl/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/jansson/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/imagemagick@6/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/icu4c/lib/pkgconfig:
 CXX=/usr/bin/c++'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 50371 6283)
 (symbols 48 5330 0)
 (strings 32 14048 2165)
 (string-bytes 1 467433)
 (vectors 16 11967)
 (vector-slots 8 272614 11044)
 (floats 8 22 24)
 (intervals 56 284 0)
 (buffers 992 10))