Subject: 28.1; dired + tramp/archive gives ibuffer fits
From: Peter Mao <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 21:43:48 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ibuffer throws an error when an archive file (I've tried zip and tar.gz)
is inserted into a Dired buffer (with `dired-maybe-insert-subdir').
Recipe for bug and relevant *Messages* below.

Actions starting from `emacs -Q`:
1. open directory in Dired with an archive file (C-x d)
2. insert zip contents into Dired buffer with 'i'
3. open Ibuffer (M-x ibuffer)

### In *Messages*: ###
Opening directory
/archive:file[path-redacted]sampleproject-main.zip:/...done
Mark set
Updating buffer list...
, Method ‘archive’ is not known.
Method ‘archive’ is not known.
tramp-error: Method ‘archive’ is not known.
### end of *Messages* ###

temporary workaround: kill the inserted archive subdir, open/kill relevant
*tramp/archive buffer (either directly or via `buffer-list')

Thank you Emacs maintainers & bug hunters!  This is the best piece of
software in the local universe.

Peter

---

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20,
cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-04-07 built on chupa
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow comp comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra help-mode sort mail-extr
emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
misearch multi-isearch ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs conf-mode tramp-sh
mule-util tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cache zeroconf url-util
url-parse url-vars dbus xml tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp format-spec auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv time-date subr-x dired-aux cl-loaddefs
cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 128121 6660)
 (symbols 48 10578 1)
 (strings 32 33861 1448)
 (string-bytes 1 1124813)
 (vectors 16 22008)
 (vector-slots 8 420356 8984)
 (floats 8 41 262)
 (intervals 56 616 0)
 (buffers 992 15))