Subject: texlive-babel-dutch with and without texlive-hyphen-dutch: No hyphenation patterns were preloaded
From: Remco van 't Veer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 16:13:02 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Neither texlive-babel-dutch nor texlive-hyphen-dutch load hyphenation.

Test document:

  \documentclass{article}
  \usepackage[dutch]{babel}
  \begin{document}
  test
  \end{document}

Running with texlive-babel-dutch only:

  $ guix shell --pure texlive-base texlive-babel-dutch -- pdflatex test.tex
  This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.22 (TeX Live 2021/GNU Guix) (preloaded format=pdflatex)
   restricted \write18 enabled.
  entering extended mode
  (./test.tex
  LaTeX2e <2020-10-01> patch level 4
  L3 programming layer <2021-02-18> (/gnu/store/1p55mddnasba5xq2vcnzyc8wjywn4cwn-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
  Document Class: article 2020/04/10 v1.4m Standard LaTeX document class
  (/gnu/store/1p55mddnasba5xq2vcnzyc8wjywn4cwn-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo)) (/gnu/store/1p55mddnasba5xq2vcnzyc8wjywn4cwn-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/babel.sty (/gnu/store/1p55mddnasba5xq2vcnzyc8wjywn4cwn-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/babel.def (/gnu/store/1p55mddnasba5xq2vcnzyc8wjywn4cwn-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/config/language.def) (/gnu/store/1p55mddnasba5xq2vcnzyc8wjywn4cwn-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/txtbabel.def)) (/gnu/store/1p55mddnasba5xq2vcnzyc8wjywn4cwn-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel-dutch/dutch.ldf

  Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were preloaded for
  (babel)                the language `Dutch' into the format.
  (babel)                Please, configure your TeX system to add them and
  (babel)                rebuild the format. Now I will use the patterns
  (babel)                preloaded for \language=0 instead on input line 49.

  )) (/gnu/store/1p55mddnasba5xq2vcnzyc8wjywn4cwn-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/l3backend/l3backend-pdftex.def) (./test.aux) [1{/gnu/store/1p55mddnasba5xq2vcnzyc8wjywn4cwn-profile/share/texmf-dist/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] (./test.aux) ) </gnu/store/1p55mddnasba5xq2vcnzyc8wjywn4cwn-profile/share/texmf-dist/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cm/dpi600/cmr10.pk>
  Output written on test.pdf (1 page, 2226 bytes).
  Transcript written on test.log.

With texlive-hyphen-dutch included:

  $ guix shell --pure texlive-base texlive-babel-dutch texlive-hyphen-dutch -- pdflatex test.tex
  This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.22 (TeX Live 2021/GNU Guix) (preloaded format=pdflatex)
   restricted \write18 enabled.
  entering extended mode
  (./test.tex
  LaTeX2e <2020-10-01> patch level 4
  L3 programming layer <2021-02-18> (/gnu/store/c61c43w5c7dlz7ipxcqi4z385p3a4dzb-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
  Document Class: article 2020/04/10 v1.4m Standard LaTeX document class
  (/gnu/store/c61c43w5c7dlz7ipxcqi4z385p3a4dzb-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo)) (/gnu/store/c61c43w5c7dlz7ipxcqi4z385p3a4dzb-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/babel.sty (/gnu/store/c61c43w5c7dlz7ipxcqi4z385p3a4dzb-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/babel.def (/gnu/store/c61c43w5c7dlz7ipxcqi4z385p3a4dzb-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/config/language.def) (/gnu/store/c61c43w5c7dlz7ipxcqi4z385p3a4dzb-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/txtbabel.def)) (/gnu/store/c61c43w5c7dlz7ipxcqi4z385p3a4dzb-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel-dutch/dutch.ldf

  Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were preloaded for
  (babel)                the language `Dutch' into the format.
  (babel)                Please, configure your TeX system to add them and
  (babel)                rebuild the format. Now I will use the patterns
  (babel)                preloaded for \language=0 instead on input line 49.

  )) (/gnu/store/c61c43w5c7dlz7ipxcqi4z385p3a4dzb-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/l3backend/l3backend-pdftex.def) (./test.aux) [1{/gnu/store/c61c43w5c7dlz7ipxcqi4z385p3a4dzb-profile/share/texmf-dist/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] (./test.aux) ) </gnu/store/c61c43w5c7dlz7ipxcqi4z385p3a4dzb-profile/share/texmf-dist/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cm/dpi600/cmr10.pk>
  Output written on test.pdf (1 page, 2226 bytes).
  Transcript written on test.log.

Problem does not occur when using the complete TeX Live distribution:

  $ guix shell --pure texlive -- pdflatex test.tex
  This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.22 (TeX Live 2021/GNU Guix) (preloaded format=pdflatex)
   restricted \write18 enabled.
  entering extended mode
  (./test.tex
  LaTeX2e <2020-10-01> patch level 4
  L3 programming layer <2021-02-18>
  (/gnu/store/lgkfz7wg59sg81zlf3xy7i7dbvx1fvyp-texlive-texmf-20210325/share/texmf
  -dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
  Document Class: article 2020/04/10 v1.4m Standard LaTeX document class

  (/gnu/store/lgkfz7wg59sg81zlf3xy7i7dbvx1fvyp-texlive-texmf-20210325/share/texmf
  -dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
  (/gnu/store/lgkfz7wg59sg81zlf3xy7i7dbvx1fvyp-texlive-texmf-20210325/share/texmf
  -dist/tex/generic/babel/babel.sty
  (/gnu/store/lgkfz7wg59sg81zlf3xy7i7dbvx1fvyp-texlive-texmf-20210325/share/texmf
  -dist/tex/generic/babel/babel.def
  (/gnu/store/lgkfz7wg59sg81zlf3xy7i7dbvx1fvyp-texlive-texmf-20210325/share/texmf
  -dist/tex/generic/babel/txtbabel.def))
  (/gnu/store/lgkfz7wg59sg81zlf3xy7i7dbvx1fvyp-texlive-texmf-20210325/share/texmf
  -dist/tex/generic/babel-dutch/dutch.ldf))
  (/gnu/store/lgkfz7wg59sg81zlf3xy7i7dbvx1fvyp-texlive-texmf-20210325/share/texmf
  -dist/tex/latex/l3backend/l3backend-pdftex.def) (./test.aux) [1{/gnu/store/lgkf
  z7wg59sg81zlf3xy7i7dbvx1fvyp-texlive-texmf-20210325/share/texmf-dist/fonts/map/
  pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] (./test.aux) )</gnu/store/lgkfz7wg59sg81zlf3xy7i7dbv
  x1fvyp-texlive-texmf-20210325/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/c
  mr10.pfb>
  Output written on test.pdf (1 page, 10613 bytes).
  Transcript written on test.log.

Am I doing something wrong?