Subject: Re: bug#55856: First LUKS passphrase prompt at Linux boot always fail
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 12:12:49 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey Ludo,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> Today I confirmed that without first clearing the input buffer via
>> multiple backspaces strokes, the first LUKS passphrase (I have many
>> disks) *always* fail.
>
> This is super weird (I’ve not observed that).  I don’t see how the input
> buffer could be filled with something else.  I wonder how this could be
> investigated!

Haha, this ended up being the HHKB Professional 2 USB keyword that was
hooked to my desktop.  Even when not using it, it appears that the small
USB hub that is built in the keyword sends noise to the line and causes
garbage to appear on stdin...

I should probably de-solder that near-useless thing from this otherwise
fine keyboard.

Thanks,

Closing.

Maxim